AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Im being a pain/help please  (Read 4484 times)

dauntless

Im being a pain/help please
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:43:03 PM »
Sorry to be a pain guy and girls

Having got over my recent cold, i decided to go to EGDY earlier today running the nav on route from my home town of Burnham on Sea, what a joy it was seeing the different amounts of aircraft in my flights compared to what i have ben used to, even a BAC 111 (ZE432) Land there. Although, the thing that bugged me is that i couldn't remember how to setup to view on the ground aircraft. I thought you could in my flight select the filter to status then = (Something).... Also there was a long winded setup of QNH which is way over my head.  Anyone care to explain to this dumbo here an idea of trying to do it, please

Many thanks

Andy

73TORANA!

Re: Im being a pain/help please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »
G'day Andy,

QNH Is the barrometic air pressure at that part of the world at that time .
All Transponder alititude information is set to a standard baro QNH of 1013mb or 29.92 inhg this is so that all aircraft are callibrated the same . The air trafic control adjusts the incoming transponder altitude signal for the Airports local QNH or QNF (field elevation) this Is to allow for diferent air pressure at different locations .Above 10,000 ft (Ithink) all altitude Instruments Including altimeters are set to 1013mb.
If for instance you may set your altimeter at 1013 on the ground It may give you an altltude reading of -300ft and another day +500ft.
ATC will compensate for this as the aircraft aproach the Airport.
So to see the Aircraft on the ground with the filter set up you would have to continualy change the QNH for that area to be accurate ,some local weather reports list Barometric air presure In hecta pascals , same deal. But how to set up the radar box not sure as I'm still learning.
Hope this helps.

Geoff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:44:39 AM by 73TORANA! »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:59:43 AM »
i couldn't remember how to setup to view on the ground aircraft.

Can you clarify what it is exactly that you want to see?

Are you not seeing aircraft on the ground at the moment, or are you seeing them but still showing a non-zero altitude, or do you want to set a filter so you display only aircraft on the ground?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

stewart_uk

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:23:05 AM »
Small point - Field Elevation is QFE, not QNF.

Cheers
Stewart

73TORANA!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »
Oop's thanks for pointing that out ,I'll just call It a type "o"
Also just for Interest.

'Q' CODE FOR ALTIMETER SETTING
The setting of altimeters to the barometric pressures prevailing at various flight levels and airfields is part of flight operating techniques, and is essential for maintaining adequate separation between aircraft, and terrain clearance during take-off and landing.  In order to make the settings a pilot is dependent on observed meteorological data that are requested and transmitted from ground control centres.  The requests and transmissions are adopted universally and form part of the ICAO 'Q' code of communication.  Three code letter groups are normally used in connection with altimeter settings, and are defined as follows:
QFE
Setting the pressure prevailing at an airfield to make the altimeter read zero on landing and take-off.
When set to QFE (the atmospheric pressure at the level of an aerodrome reference point) the altimeter will indicate height above the reference point.  If the aircraft is standing at the reference point, the altimeter will indicate zero.
QNE
Setting the standard sea-level pressure of 1013.25 mbar (29.92 in Hg) to make the altimeter read the airfield elevation.  The altimeter then indicates the flight level of the aircraft.  This setting is the correct one to use when obtaining TAS from the computer.
When set to 1013.25 mb the accepted constant average value of mean sea-level pressure throughout the world, it will indicate flight level.  An aircraft maintaining a flight level with its altimeter set to 1013.25 mb will fly along a surface of constant atmospheric pressure.
The aircraft’s vertical distance from mean sea-level at various places enroute may vary, due to changes in the atmospheric pressure enroute in horizontal planes.  Example:  an aircraft flying towards a low pressure area will fly progressively lower while still maintaining the same flight level.
QNH
Setting the pressure scale to make the altimeter read airfield height above sea-level on landing and take-off.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
my home town of Burnham on Sea

Hi Andy, I lived at College Street, opposite what was Tickle's Garage in late 50's - early 60's.    How long have you been there?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dauntless

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
my home town of Burnham on Sea

Hi Andy, I lived at College Street, opposite what was Tickle's Garage in late 50's - early 60's.    How long have you been there?

Sent you a personal message