anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox over network?  (Read 5178 times)

catman

Radarbox over network?
« on: May 28, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
Hey, hope someone can help me with this, this is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if you could use a USB to Ethernet adapter on a network, I have my antenna on the roof and I would like to set up a network for my entire household and would like to simply connect the radarbox to the network and pick it up over every computer on the network, not at the same time obviously but simply so that whichever computer I choose to connect to the service through I can pick it up. Is this possible?

Many thanks

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
Re: Radarbox over network?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
Users have reported success with logmein.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2500.0

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Hey, hope someone can help me with this, this is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if you could use a USB to Ethernet adapter on a network, I have my antenna on the roof and I would like to set up a network for my entire household and would like to simply connect the radarbox to the network and pick it up over every computer on the network, not at the same time obviously but simply so that whichever computer I choose to connect to the service through I can pick it up. Is this possible?

No - AFAIK the RadarBox software won't run unless it finds the hardware attached to the local PC via USB.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

catman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
Many thanks for the fast replies,

So if I used a USB to ethernet adapter and ran the ethernet to my computer then it would work? but through a switch or something it does not? Judging from the responses on other threads? No possible way of making it a network device and it showing on the computer? And for this USB to ethernet adaptor what one would people recommend? If that works?

Thanks again

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:01:54 PM »
Many thanks for the fast replies,

So if I used a USB to ethernet adapter and ran the ethernet to my computer then it would work? but through a switch or something it does not?

Read my reply again.  There is no option in the RadarBox software which allows you to specify a TCP/IP address for the hardware.

The interface has to be USB (which doesn't rule out using a USB <-> Ethernet <-> USB extender).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:54:17 AM »
The interface has to be USB (which doesn't rule out using a USB <-> Ethernet <-> USB extender).

I had some limited success using USB over Ethernet with the Radarbox, using Eltima's USB to Ethernet Connector solution.  See previous discussion at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1246.msg16278#msg16278

dor4x

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
I am using a remote PC in my house for better antenna location.
I run the great free tool ULTRAVNC. I can get full access to my RadarBox computer over my local netowrk or from "outside" over the internet.

Great free tool. No need for any service for logining in.

catman

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:05:48 PM »
Thanks again for the replies, so with this ULTRAVNC, I'm presuming I'd need say a low power computer to just sit on the network with the radarbox plugged in to access it over the network?

This seems to sound like the only possibility.

Many thanks for all the replies though

dor4x

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
I am running my RadarBox on an old  P4 2Ghz computer with 1GB RAM and ULTRAVNC.
This computer has only power and network connections
Works great

catman

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »
Thanks for confirming that, I shall look into it!