anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have just installed a External Antenna and my Polar Diagram looks real small?  (Read 4799 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
I have had the box running for like 1hr 30 mins.
Does it need more time to grow?
Thanks
Johnn -

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
John - remember that the polar diagram is set by the aircraft you receive which are broadcasting their position. As time goes by it will grow - wait until you've experienced a couple of traffic peaks - probably a full day's worth of reception - before you decide if you've got a problem.

Rod
Rod

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
John,

Yes it does.

How high have got the antenna? Is it in the clear?

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Johnn

• Y'ello
Hi there, It is on a 12ft pole.  Its mostly clear except to the west. I looked back at the polar diagram from the twig antenna, and not a vast amount of difference yet. I will keep the radar box on for a few days and see what happens!.
Thanks John
Johnn -

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
John,

As Rod said it will take a day or so.

Just a thought - you did fit the three radials, didn't you!

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Johnn

• Y'ello
Hello, Yes I Did!, What are they for?
Thanks John
Johnn -

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Hi John, it may be the case that the standard twig was picking up everything that was available, I must admit I've been very surprised by its excellent performance - it may well be that the Watson Radar Extender doesn't significantly improve my reception when I get it up, other than the fact it will be clear of the very limiting roof ridge to the East, and it's build for external use, which the standard twig isn't.    It could be that your physical location is the limiting factor - sorry if that may disappoint, but it may well be the case.   The 3 radials form the ground plane, the same as the CD size disc with the standard twig.    About 20 years ago, I built a discone out of thin stainless steel sheet, to the same dimensions as a Royal discone, the performance was hugely better, but couldn't be erected outside - interesting exercise though!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Johnn

• Y'ello
Hi there! I have left it on over night and now I have a reasonable 360 view which did not happen on the twig antenna, I will leave a couple more days, but things are looking abit better now, compared to my last polar diagram.
Thanks for everyones help.
John
Johnn -

E14

I put up the 5db RadarRama Antenna. Although my Polar diagram did not get that much bigger the flights at peak hours went from around 60 to 110.
Si in summary it did not help the overrall size of the diagram but did help the quality of data I was receiving.
1 mile west of EGLC (London city Airport)