anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If elevation is the key to good reception, then I have an idea...!  (Read 4230 times)

bailey_uk

My next project is to take my RB on a long trek up Helvellyn in the heart of the Lake District ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvellyn )

at 950m / 3118 ft High, will be very interesting to see what range I can get!

Anybody else taken their RBs to this alititude before?

James

Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: If elevation is the key to good reception, then I have an idea...!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
Don't forget to take some photos and post them here!

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »
Baily-uk,  Go for it mate. The highest i have been with my (old box BS ) is 389mtrs. We own some land across the valley where i live & this is where i go to do my dx ing on the radio. Took the box with me the last time & wow absolutely crazy, the screen was like a rats nest & the only way to look at it properly was to zoom in on a particular area. Looking forward to going up there with the RB when the weather warms up.I dread to think what you will see at that hight but will look forward to the result. Keep us posted on how u got on.

Cheers.  Peteeds.

BobR

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
I am in the process of buying some swaged poles with a view to doing something similar over in northumberland. I have done some work on google earth and found some locations on the borders area and was proposing to put the antenna on the top of a guyed mast and run it from an invertor on the leisure battery. I would be interested in what you get back - i would think it will be huge from up there. Good luck!!!

Bob

mt007

• Super Сasual Dating - Real-life Girls
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
I have bailey.
more than 1500 m.
Here in Portugal.
Regards

pilot_ngb

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
I was driving to Scotland over the weekend. With my ICOM R5 I could clearly hear ATC at the Scottish/English border on the Jedburgh road (A68). This would be a great place to try the boxes. I am more than happy to have a meet and I will bring my SBS box for comparison if anyone would be interested.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=A68&daddr=55.353745,-2.47467&hl=en&geocode=FdCjTAMdMDLa_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=11&sll=55.342813,-2.445145&sspn=0.207339,0.615234&ie=UTF8&t=p&z=11
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:54:07 PM by pilot_ngb »