anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost All Local Contacts  (Read 4138 times)

chassi

Lost All Local Contacts
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
Have been using the box connected to my desktop for past few months with excellent results & no problems....Decided to try it on my laptop which is dual core vista premium....worked fine...well almost fine, seemed to lose contacts at a shorter range than usual (This is via my Antenna)...Then suddenly, all aircraft displays went white (have kept default aircraft colours) & lost contact symbol appeared againt all aircraft except network ones...after a few seconds everything returned to normal but some time later it happened again and after a bit of poking around, got it all back..unable to say what I did.
The set up for the laptop is different as am using Lindy USB Extender with 15M of Cat5E cable connecting the two units of the extender....The instructions for this say to use external power supply if the USB device (i.e AirNav Box) is drawing more than 100MA....I have tried this but the same problem occurs...The one difference that I noticed was that the short range problem was resolved making me think that the laptop USB socket could'nt supply the required current causing a reduction in the gain of the receiver in the Radar Box & maybe the loss of all contacts....The software is installed in the default location & have Norton Anti Virus/Firewall installed (Same as on the Desktop)....So firstly can someone advise me as to the current requirements of the Navbox (Seem to recollect having seen a figure of 500MA somewhere) & secondly any ideas.....I must add that when I first got the Box, I did try the laptop with the supplied antenna & did'nt have any probs but that was with far fewer aircraft being picked up but now I have an external Antenna in use which gives me a huge increase in contacts.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Lost All Local Contacts
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:11 AM »
Hi Chassi,

This is nothing to do with software it is to do USB Extender loosing connection. If the usb connection drops between the computer and the RB then all the contacts will go white to show timeout. Try and reduce the 15 metre of Cat5E cable and see whether that helps.

Also confirm you are using the latest RadarBox 2009 software.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

chassi

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »
Tks for yr response AirNav...I am using the latest software...Guess the logical thing to do is to try the laptop connected with the supplied USB lead to eliminate the USB extender altogether...Can you tell me though, how much current the Navbox draws??

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
So firstly can someone advise me as to the current requirements of the Navbox

My PC reports it as 250mA

chassi

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
Tarbat...Tks for that

chassi

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
Further to my original post. I have been using the AirNav box directly connected to my laptop with the (AirNav) supplied usb cable (thus no usb extender in use)....The same problem occurred several times just for a few secs whereby all displayed aircraft turn white with the lost contact symbol....It only happened when using the laptop touchpad & associated buttons below the pad to zoom in or out....If the display is left alone, then no problem...been testing it for past 7hours....Any comments would be appreciated

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
Sound like a similar problem I had using a Radarbox on a tablet PC (TC1100).  It worked with external power connected to the Tablet PC, but not when running on battery.

I concluded that it was caused by the USB ports not being able to deliver enough current to keep the Radarbox active.  What's the spec of the laptop for it's USB power output?  Have you tried running with mains power connected to the laptop?

chassi

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »
Tarbat....In Dev Man....says 500mA each USB port  & Airnav is drawing 250mA....I have been running the laptop all day with the mains connected