anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions from a prospective new user...  (Read 2864 times)

alexc

Questions from a prospective new user...
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
Hi all,

I've been trying to decide for the last few days between the SBS-1 and a RadarBox. I think I've pretty much made up my mind on the basis of what's been said here, and on the fact that ANS offers a demo download. However, there are just a few little gripes/questions I have regarding the software:

- The 'interface' (My Flights etc.) page is too useful to hide, and yet it takes up almost half of my (very high resolution) screen, wasting a lot of valuable radar space. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this.

- There doesn't seem to be any way to shorten or hide the 'look ahead' tracks on the radar view (other than to change their colour to the same as the background). This causes a lot of clutter.

- Sad/lazy as it may be, I kinda like the Icom radio interface feature of BaseStation. I'm guessing there isn't a similar thing for RB?

- Can the ACARS tab in RB be used with a locally-attached radio without paying a subscription?

- RB seems to be pretty slow. I'm using it under Linux on a virtual machine with 728Mb dedicated RAM on an otherwise lighting-fast Centrino Duo laptop. Nothing else running, and with only 35-50ish contacts from the demo file, I'm wondering what would happen if I had a decent antenna on the roof and a network connection.

- Finally, on a really minor point, I've noticed that in the 'Preferences' window, OK doesn't seem to work - I have to click Apply, and then Cancel. Is it just me...?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I have money right now and might not do soon :)

Thanks,

Alex.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Questions from a prospective new user...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »
Hi Alex,

Interface:

In Preferences you have get rid of the columns you don't need in the interface and you can drag the interface to make it smaller so you can scroll to see the other columns.

Look Ahead Tracks:

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I assume you mean the vector paths. You can turn them off but you can't increase or decrease the size.

Icom:

There isn't  a similar interface. Sorry.

ACARS:

You don't need a subscription.

Demo:

It maybe the virtual machine causing extra load, but if its a quick laptop it should have no problem. Infact just run the demo and it seems its not as efficent as when its running Live.

Not sure whats happening regarding the apply cancel, we have not heard of that before.

All in all RadarBox vastly outstrips SBS in features and support. I can point you towards the comparison post as well at:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=640.0

We are outselling the SBS and that speaks for itself.

Hope that helps.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

alexc

Re: Questions from a prospective new user...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
Hi, and thanks for the fast reply!

Yes I did mean the vector paths - I read 'Line of Sight' in the color settings and translated it into my own words before posting. Oops. Have found the 'off' switch as well now, so thanks for that.

Also, once I'd noticed and closed the 5 radar windows open behind the maximized one, the speed is no problem, and the Preferences OK button works fine (was just slow enough that I'd given up waiting before).

Dragging the interface: I couldn't get a resize handle before, but having moved it to the left and then back to the right again, I can now. Interesting!

Anyway, thanks again for your fast response. I'll be off to the shop tomorrow...

Alex