AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best Antenna for RadarBox?  (Read 5895 times)

Steve R

Best Antenna for RadarBox?
« on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »
Its me again, lol,

I'm currently using the supplied antenna for the RadarBox, can anyone suggest another antenna that will improve my current reception.

I live in Kent/London borders and am currently only getting between 50 - 110 hits around my home point. (Not that this is bad, just want to improve on what i got).

Cheers,

Steve

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Best Antenna for RadarBox?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:28:57 PM »
Hi again Steve!

From all the discussion about this on the forum, and speaking as a non-radio-techie, it's certain that height of the antenna is more important than the make - remembering that it's a line-of-sight frequency and you must have a 1090MHz-specific antenna, not a general-purpose one.

I got my antenna and cabling from www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial.htm - very quick, no problems, and works just fine.

Rod
Rod

Steve R

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »
Cheers Rod,

I will go and take a ganders at the link you sent me. :)

pcochrane12

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:55:45 AM »
steve
cant fault my wimo system im up north of newcastle and have no probs covering down to wales  and east anglia bit limited to the east because of trees

Steve R

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »
Hiya,

Cheers for that screenshot pcochrane12, that is a good polarisation range you have there my freind.

I'm in the process of checking out some antennas as I type this. I'm planning on getting it mounted externally on the roof for a good 360 degree reception. Fingers crossed. To be honest I think the little antenna that is supplied does a pretty good job on its own, I was well surprised on its range :)

I'll post on what I decide to order in due course.

Cheers for your help

Steve

pcochrane12

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
steve
a good clear view seems to be just as important as height as i live in a bungalow and the antenna is only up 25ft or so
cheers paul

Brisbane

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
Quite agree that a clear view is most important. I had the standard aerial just mounted on my desktop, very poor range. I then stuck it outside on my Velux window, and wow, getting hits from East Anglia and I live in Dorset.
I've got a bungalow too, so the height is probably only 20ft from the ground. Even though it's not clear of the roofline, I'm getting near 360 degree reception picking up AFR/DLH flights over the Channel Islands.

bailey_uk

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
steve
cant fault my wimo system im up north of newcastle and have no probs covering down to wales  and east anglia bit limited to the east because of trees

So does that white outline show where all of your furthest hits have been in each direction?
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
the white outline is the coverage of your aerial, here are somebeofre and after shots from my home.
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1016.0

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
Yes - as I said in my original reply, the aerial is line-of sight - the more sky (or runway) it can directly see, the better. Trees, walls, and roof tiles all greatly cut down its range.

I wonder if the signals do reflect off walls, though, because I originally had the AirNav antenna on my study windowsill and I still got some signals that would have otherwise come through most of my house - anyone know about signal reflections at this frequency?

Rod
Rod