AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copying Data Files (Windows Vista)  (Read 4690 times)

markyeulett

Copying Data Files (Windows Vista)
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »
Can anyone help.  Just got new PC with Vista.  Previously had no problem copying data folder between various XP machines and the application recognising the complete log.  However, have done this on Vista machine (copied data into Data folder under Program Files>AirNav Systems>AirNav Radarbox 2008>Data) and the application does not pick up either the photos or the data log.  Any ideas?  Is there a different master directory on Visat bsed machines?

Thanks Folks

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Copying Data Files (Windows Vista)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »
I don't run Vista myself, but this thread:
www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=912 advising you to run RB as Administrator may help.

Good Luck!

Rod
Rod

markyeulett

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
Thanks Rod

Looked at that but I cant immediately see what I am doing wrong

lets hope someone can give me the answer:-)

Cheers

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »
Vista has a bug referred to as the "long goodbye" - see here for a brief description:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/comments/

I came across this when updating a friends RadarBox V1.3 to 1.5 - I wanted to copy across my /Photo and /Logos directory and everything just ground to a halt.  It seems that Vista wants to scan every single file before it copies anything.  I ended up copying around 100 photos at a time, but as I has over 16,000 thumbnails, I gave the CD to my friend and said "good luck"

This and the fact that you get all those warnings which you have to accept or choose an option, makes it a real pain.

I'm no Vista expert, but try copying a few files at a time and makes sure you allow Vista to overwrite the existing file - if that's what you want to do.

Hope this helps

Allocator

markyeulett

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »
thanks

I deleted all of the files and replaced with copied file from XP machine.  The photos are there (6000+) but even in doing this the database does not read the log and defers back to zero.

Cant work it out?

Mark

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
Vista will not allow you to write to files in the Programs area. It therefore creates a virtual store (copy of the dta files from each program you run) so you need to find this area and you will see copies of the data files and these are the ones/area that you need to place all the copied stuff into.

EDIT - on my machine the path is
C:\Users\My name\Appdata\local\Virtualstore\program files\AirNav .... then it completely replicates what is in the main AirNav directory so set ip the Photos in the correct area of this virtual store.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:20:07 PM by Roadrunner »

markyeulett

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks Mike

Makes sense but I have searched and searched and can't find any virtual store on my computer.  Its really frustrating. 

Mark

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
Vista will not allow you to write to files in the Programs area. It therefore creates a virtual store (copy of the dta files from each program you run) so you need to find this area and you will see copies of the data files and these are the ones/area that you need to place all the copied stuff into.

EDIT - on my machine the path is
C:\Users\My name\Appdata\local\Virtualstore\program files\AirNav .... then it completely replicates what is in the main AirNav directory so set ip the Photos in the correct area of this virtual store.

Mike

I had no problems copying files to the Programs area.  I had a couple of "Do you really want to do this" messages, but other than the long copy times discussed above, it just seemed to work like XP.  All the expected directories were there in C:/Program Files/AirNav Systems/ etc when viewing with Explorer.

I copied D008.dat over from a USB memory stick, as well as NavData.db3, all contents from /Logos and /Flags.  It was only the 16,000 jpg files in /Photo that gave me the time problem.

I was doing this as the Administrator.  Maybe there are restrictions if you aren't working as the Administrator.