anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: my radarbox  (Read 8622 times)

donburrows

my radarbox
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
does anyone live in south yorkshire have a radarbox i could visit to check my radarbox as i am only recieving flight no further than 5 miles away  . it has been to walters&stanton twice .it came back last week saying my usb cable was faulty ,i have purchaced a new 1 have a new antenna too , still the same ,can anyone help? i live at maltby s667qb

Southwest

Re: my radarbox
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
Have you checked your Polar diagram?  It could be you are in a high density building/tree area but I would have thought you'd have more than that!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
Are you using the antenna supplied or one you bought?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Starburstdave

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
Hi donburrows

I have sent you a pm

Dave

donburrows

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
yes my polar diagram shows no more than 5 miles

Southwest

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
yes my polar diagram shows no more than 5 miles

Have you tried the aerial in different positions?

Once you have the problem solved, whenever that might be, could you let us all know what you did to achieve the fix?   

westie v8

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
hi don burrows, i'm in barnsley pm me

g0seg

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:03:02 AM »
Don Burrows, i live in Pontefract and have Radarbox and all the gubbins. You`re welcome anytime - i`m retired so he system is on continuously. Give us a ring on Pontefract 792817. Bi now, Roger PS, take a look at the attachment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:08:32 AM by g0seg »

bratters

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
What aerial are you using g0seg? Impressive distance to the east.

donburrows

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
ive got someone 1/2 a mile away thanks

g0seg

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi Bratters and buddies, sorry for the delay in replying - wifes gone down with the dreaded Ghandis revenge so i`m chief cook and bottlewasher. The antenna is an exact copy of the supplied antenna but in copper. I`m using 32 feet of best quality satellite coax and no preamp as i have transmitting antennas on the same tower. I`ve put the copper antenna up against the supplied aeriel and there is a marked improvement but i did have a spectrum analyser to check the thing for the required freq - actually, it came up at 1099 Mhz and the supplied aerial at 1048Mhz. I messed the first copper one up but filing too much off - it only needs about a sixtyforth to miss half a meg!! No problems with corrosion with the all copper aeriel but it does have to be braced with an inert stiffener to prevent vibration work hardening the stuff. I used 16 swg copper incidentally which required a slight change in dimensions to bring it to around 1090Mhz. We are at 152 ASL here with clearish line of sight only to the Southeast - Pennines to the west, Derbyshire hills to the south and glaciers on the Scottish borders!!Hope this is of some interest. Roger PS, i pratt around with stuff for the microwave bands all the time and am a model engineer so i`m lucky i guess and no, i have a friend who has the use of the analyser!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Hi Roger,
Can you post the exact dimensions please, especially, if you can get the cut spot on!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

donburrows

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
and me

g0seg

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
Morning Coastguard and all, whew, relating to dimensions. Sorry to dissapoint but the short answer is no, i can`t as it`s not that simple as there`s many things to take into consideration - on top of that, it`s at the top of the mast and at my age it`s not so easy to get up there!! Right, what i can tell you follows and remember, it`s only a guide. Not only did i used copper, i had to make up a base for it. I didn`t use magnetic capacative coupling but direct coupling to a ground plane. The feeder is 75Ohm not 50Ohm and of the many types i tried some used copper for the shield and others alloy so there`s a soldering problem. I can witter on for hours about it but the crux of it is that ALL the things mentioned have a direct bearing on it`s performance. Best advice i can give is that make sure the former used for the circular elements is the right diameter when you`re winding them. Take into consideration that the antenna has to be connected to a feeder and the shield. Measure everything twice when you make the copy and EXPERIMENT - it`s the only way. As for the grounplane, i use a one foot diameter teflon coated cooking dish so no corrosion. Remember to scratch away the area where the coax sheld is attached. So, without diagnostic help, a near as dammit copy of the original is just a start but copper wire is cheap enough so give it a go. Regards to all, Roger
PS, The attachement is bit sparse but gives a classic indication of obstructions on the polar diagram. The dip due north is a block of flats 1 mile away. The dip to the NNE is Ferrybridge power station three miles away and the dip to the NE is Eggborough powerstation six miles awy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:17:44 AM by g0seg »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the extra info, so it's more or less a case of suck it and see!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!