AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improving range using a long USB cable  (Read 2381 times)

NigelR

Improving range using a long USB cable
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
I am thinking about raising the height of my antenna in the house loft space to try and improve coverage. This would also entail locating the Radarbox receiver in the loft space and using a long USB cable to transfer the signal to my pc. Can anyone tell me if using a longer USB cable than supplied with the Radarbox results in signal losses in the cable so that there is no net gain by doing this?

Also does anyone know where I might get a long USB cable (in the UK) if the idea above is a good one (Maplins?), and should the cable be of a certain spec?

Thank you

bratters

Re: Improving range using a long USB cable
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
There are many threads like this one:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4738.msg47477#msg47477

try the search function.

Buy an Active USB cable through Ebay and go for 10 metres (5metre active plus 5 metre standard) Won't cost an arm and a leg (£15 ish from memory) and will work a treat.

Chris11

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:27:23 AM »
I used a USB to UTP adaptor. Was not very satisfactory. The hardware keeps disconnecting and you had to remove the USB and insert again to get the hardware to connect again.

jannuh

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
I used a USB to UTP adaptor. Was not very satisfactory. The hardware keeps disconnecting and you had to remove the USB and insert again to get the hardware to connect again.
Same experience overhere, gives also lesser messages...

An active USB lead works fine!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
I've been using the 12m Lindy Active USB extension for some time now, with great success - I thoroughly recommend it - with the RB receiving its full power direct, it seems even better than 2 - 3m passive lead.   A 5m passive lead killed the signals completely.   Not a cheap option though!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!