anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox issues: Poor databases; Maps; Range; Antennae.  (Read 6331 times)

btclarke

RadarBox issues: Poor databases; Maps; Range; Antennae.
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »
Hello All (this is primarily directly aimed at AirNav developers, but any others with experiences solving the problems are welcome to chime in too!!)

1. Databases - from incorrect ModeS/ACID tie-ups, to wrong AC types: As we all know there are so many errors in the databases. AirNav seem to be spending more time feuding with DaveReid rather than talking to us as PAYING clients about solutions. This database problem I suspect didn't pop up *yesterday*. Or the day before. What is happening?

How can I fix my own data in the DB3's, so that it shows correctly when i view the old records in RB?

2. Maps: Is there a way I can edit the maps displayed so the fixes are up to date?

3. Range: I seem to be getting *way* less range than other users. With clear open skies from my window ledge on the 2nd floor - I get an AC at F70 no more than about 4 or max 5 nm away. At F350 I get to about max 30nm. This doesn't sound right at all. I am using the exact cables and antenna out the box.

4. I am moving house shortly. I want to put up a proper outdoor antenna. Is it possible to use a 1090MHz combiner to run two antennae together? Coax cable length will be about 5 to 8m. Will a mast head preamp help? I won't be able to be up and down all the time, so I need it right when I install the antennae.

Thanks for all that respond. I hope to solve these issues.

Regards
Bryan.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: RadarBox issues: Poor databases; Maps; Range; Antennae.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
Bryan,

1.) Rest assured this is being looked into and news will appear soon regarding this. This is listed as a high issue at

http://www.airnavsystems.com/bugs/

As you may not be aware the task is not simple and for us to provide a better solution it does require changes to the software, database and our server as well as a provider for updated aircraft details. This is far from an easy task and does take time.

Also as I am sure you will be aware, the aircraft database will still have issues as its impossible to keep a 100,000+ aircraft database up to date for the whole world.

2.) There isn't a way to update maps. If you have the latest version the AIRAC data of a few months ago was used so it shouldn't be too out of date. The next software update will include a map update.

3.) Please provide more detail of your location, can you see the horizon from your window, or is there obstacles such as hills/buildings blocking this?

4.) Not sure why you would need to combine if you have a external antenna as that should be enough?

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

btclarke

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
Hello (Name?),

I do have a house next to me obscuring a little of my view, and is reflected appropriately in the Polar Diagram.  However, I can see aircraft contrails from my window, that I am dead certain are ADS broadcasting, but I am not picking them up. RYR B738 EI-EKF F370 is 12.4nm away, I can see him through the window with binoculars, yet I got a total of 2 replies on my radarbox. Is there something wrong with my antenna? I have never picked up anything remotely.

The reason I was thinking of combining signal is for a Yagi or similar to point at the nearby busy airport, and then a good quality omni for everything else... It was just a thought.

Regards
Bryan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
Hi Bryan, the range you are experiencing does not sound right at all.   I'm in a fortunate position, with a supplied (but dis-assembled and soundly re-soldered) antenna being 200' asl, with clear horizon to the west out over the Atlantic - I get up to 250nm (around 285 statute miles), my reception did drop to very similar range as your's when the front end SAW filters failed, but since a new pcb fitted am back to normal.    Where/when did you buy your RB from, if a local dealer - take it back and insist on trying another unit.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

QF1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »

The quality of the units does seem to vary.  It wasn't until I received my third unit that I finally started getting the reception quality that compared with my SBS.  I think that it may  be a soldering quality issue, but not entirely sure - others more qualified than me may have the answer.  At least AirNav were happy to exchange the units!

Cheers
Mark

btclarke

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:42:02 AM »
Thanks CoastGuardJon and Mark for your feedback,

I bought the unit overseas, and UK customs took the receipt as part of the VAT refund process. I bought it in early December from KK Electronics in London.

I now live in Germany.

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Bryan

bratters

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
My tuppence worth Bryan.

Your range sounds down and Coastguardjon's suggestion to get the box checked out is sensible.

Two aerials combined doesn't work - at least not in my experience and I've tried a view variations on this theme. In fact you get the opposite result from the one you want and reception deteriorates rather than improves.

Many of us have found that the supplied aerial sited in the right place is in fact very good so before lashing out on additional kit, try some experimenting.
At the end of the day of course height is everything, but cable loss can cut you down to size!

Hope things improve for you.

Fenris

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »
What are the windows like in your house? If they have K-glass (used in modern sealed double-glazed units) then the thin tin layer used to reflect heat will attenuate signals considerably.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
What are the windows like in your house? If they have K-glass (used in modern sealed double-glazed units) then the thin tin layer used to reflect heat will attenuate signals considerably.

I've seen this attenuation for sure.  I always open the window and put the antenna outside on the window ledge and I see an amazing difference - bearing in mind that I've only moved the antenna about 3 inches :-)

Closing the window as much as possible without damaging the cable needs a bit of care though!

eggplant

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »
I'd suggest you go mobile with your RB and a laptop. Go to the nearest big hill with clear views of the horizon and see what range you acheive. It would be interesting to see what results you get.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Roland28

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
I'm hoping for some improvements to the maps also. About a month ago, I spent 2 weeks on the Caribbean island of Nevis. The island's airport is on the RB map, but not the island itself.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, my location and the airport TKPN are both in the sea adjacent to St. Kitts. Other missing islands from this shot are St. Eustatius, Montserrat and possibly Saba.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
Roland28,

The issue you been bring up is due to how detailed the map can be. If we add more detail to the coastlines of the world etc.. it will put more pressure on the application and we will get complaints of slow response. This is the best approach at the moment to give enough detail and for it to not affect performance.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »
Roland28, you can always use the satellite map download function to get a more detailed map.

btclarke

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you for your suggestions everybody!!

I have managed a better location (outside) with my antenna for the moment - it seems the glass on the window must be causing half the problem. I can now get traffic further - so far maximum i've received is 71nm. Perhaps my location is still not ideal - I will endeavour to obtain a laptop and go mobile for a bit and see if it's my general area.

To AirNavSupport - is there anyway to make changes to my ACID etc and have it reflected in my currently stored data. I don't really have to want to update each record one by one and the master dbase too...

Thanks
Bryan

Roland28

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »
Roland28, you can always use the satellite map download function to get a more detailed map.

Thanks for that.