AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ANRB Stopped Receiving  (Read 9162 times)

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »
Take a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!
The speed that ships move then a 15 minute delay isn't going to worry me too much and I can see the live data from my own receiver.
All these sites, including ST, are only as good as the data they are supplied with and where the sharers are. In my case there were no AIS stations up here when I set mine up, just like I'm the only ANRB station up here as well. If I didn't have these two then there would be no coverage, on any site.

jannuh

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Take a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!
The speed that ships move then a 15 minute delay isn't going to worry me too much and I can see the live data from my own receiver.
All these sites, including ST, are only as good as the data they are supplied with and where the sharers are.
Update once a 15 min. is big; is a ship in the locks, or not...  etc.

The sharers deliver in general fine data, but sites as MarineTraffic have filters on the data, in a way that they have to sent less data to their website; msg. nr. 1 the sent for example just one on five etc.

aprs.fi is very colorfull in filtering the ais data  ;-)

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Looking at the MarineTraffic FAQ's they say that they upload as soon as they have the data in their database.
How often is the data updated?
Data received are uploaded in the database in real time and therefore they are immediately available on the map and on other pages. However, several positions shown on map may be not continuously refreshed (e.g. when a ship goes out of range). Vessel positions shown on map may be up to 1 hour old. Please note also that map web page is only periodically refreshed or whenever the ‘Refresh now’ link is pressed manually.

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
Well, the Comar AIS-2USB came back yesterday and working perfectly after Comar repaired it, under warranty (even thought it's just over two years old).
Just waiting to hear something from Waters & Stanton now about ANRB. I got a job number from them last week so the unit made it down there OK.

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
Update: Spoke to someone at Waters & Stanton today and they have been waiting to a supply of SAW filters, hence the three week wait. Hopefully, he says, the ANRB should be back with me by the end of the week or early next week.
In the mean time, as my pre-amp got zapped and doesn't work any more, I have installed an in-line static/lightning protector on the coax and linked it into the earth cable that's connected to the mast. So hopefully I won't have this issue again.

oliver14

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »

My unit is also at Waters and Stanton, and has been for three weeks waiting for a saw filter after losing range, mine is one of the older boxes. 

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
Got a call from them this morning and it was more than just the SAW filter that had gone, they also had to replace the amplifier.
Anyway, all paid for and it'll be in the post in the morning so should be here by the end of the week. 

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
Oh, how wrong was I with the last post!

8 days later and still no sign of the ANRB in the post so I called Waters & Stanton only to find it's still there!!
The guy on the phone tried to tell me that they (packaging I assume) had only just got it from the Service Department because there was a delay in getting the parts.
What a load of cr@p, the service guy I spoke too last week told me it was ready to go so god know how long it would have sat there if I hadn't called.

Not impressed with the service all round, that's nearly a month they've had my ANRB now, Comar turned the AIS around in a week, and that includes the postage time!! 

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
Hi Budgie,

We will investigate this, sorry for the trouble caused. Usually the return service is very quick as plenty of posts on the forum will prove, we hope this is a one off and we will investigate to what has happened.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
Thanks,
Just to add that the ANRB arrived in the post today so it did get here very fast, once sent.
I'm just waiting for some aircraft to come my way now to make sure it's working OK. ;-)

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »
I thought I would continue in this thread as it has something to do with it.

Before the ANRB went South with the problems list in this thread, I was getting a range of 150 to 200 miles from here and during peak traffic was seeing up to 40 aircraft at one time.

Since getting the ANRB back from W&S my range has dropped to about 100 miles and very occasionally peaking at 170 miles. Attached is a screen shot of the polar diagram since the ANRB was re-installed.
I've changed nothing on the antenna, with the exception of adding a static discharge connector in-line but I've tried it both with & without this connected with no noticeable difference.
There is no pre-amp connected, it's a straight roof top antenna and 30m of Westflex.
You can see the polar diagram of want I was getting in this thread: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=6414.0

Can anyone think of anything I can try to regain the range I had before the ANRB broke or any reason that the range should have changed so dramatically since it was repaired?

One think I have noticed since it came back is that the female SMA antenna connector on the back the ANRB is loose and I don't remember it being loose before. Could this have anything to do with it and is it easy for me to remove the cover and tighten it up? 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:07:41 PM by Budgie »