anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: External Antenna- Advice needed!  (Read 8066 times)

NB

External Antenna- Advice needed!
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
Hi! I recently bought a Air Nav Radarbox and quickly realized how limited my coverage is with the supplied antenna. Therefore I wish to buy a better antenna to be placed outside my house. I have seen excellent reviews of the DPD Productions antenna but I wonder if the "watson radar extended" (as seen on airbandonline) will provide the same results. what's your opinion?
I intend to use the Westflex 103 cable to connect the antenna with my radarbox, that seems to be unquestionably the best option!

thank you for all the info you can provide!

darkskies74

• AOR 8000. Station EXTSHA196235
Re: External Antenna- Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »
Hi, I had the Watson Radar extender on the chimney stack of my old house. It gave me greatly improved coverage. Had Westflex cable approx 14 metres to allow me to use RB at my desktop PC in the lounge. Can't comment on the other avail antennas, but was very pleased. Attached pic shows polar diagram with aerial, don't have a 'before' shot, but can honestly say it was less than half the size.
Hope this helps.

Phil
Was 32 NM SSW of YPPH.......where the sun shines.
Previously 31NM NNW of EGCC....where it didn't shine!
Now back near EGCC, Oh, how I miss the sun!!!

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
I have A DPD antenna and cant fault it.  Along with the Westflex cable it gives me very good results.  Remember to get a 1M  fly lead to connect to the box as it is very much easier to connect.

Also remember as it would be imported you will need to pay the duty before delivery, around the £20 mark.

I have mines installed in the attic as it was easier for me than installing it outside and even with that limitation I am still pleased with it.

Alan
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:24:34 AM by Runway 31 »

darkskies74

• AOR 8000. Station EXTSHA196235
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:56:38 AM »
Not advertising here, but for ease I got my aerial, fly lead, cable etc from Rocket radio (That's if you're in the UK).
Very helpful and arrived 2 days after ordering on phone!
Was 32 NM SSW of YPPH.......where the sun shines.
Previously 31NM NNW of EGCC....where it didn't shine!
Now back near EGCC, Oh, how I miss the sun!!!

bratters

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »
Hi NB

This may be of interest:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4776.0

but whichever aerial you choose I would urge you to site your box as near to the aerial as possible - in the loft perhaps - and use an extended USB cable to connect to the PC.

There is no signal loss with USB cable but there is always signal loss with aerial cable, whatever the spec. So a long USB and a short Aerial feed is the way to go.

NB

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
Hi again!

I have already placed my radar box on the top floor and bought an USB extension. Very good results I must say. i'm almost convinced I'll buy the DPD as I have read in another topic of this forum "want the best...? buy this one". the sole problem I have now concerns the patch cable: ANRB has a SMA connector but the W103 cable is too wide for that, so I have to order a patch cable with BNC connector on the antenna side and then another patch cable on the box side, this time BNC to SMA. Am I right? thanks!

bratters

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
You lost me a bit NB. You only need one patch - a BNC on one end (assuming that's what's on the antenna cable) and an SMA on the other for the box.

Have a look here: 

http://www.garex.co.uk/patch%20leads/patch%20leads.htm

and speak to Pete - he'll sort you out.

NB

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »
Maybe I wasn't clear. The antenna has a small 4 foot patch lead connecting to the (roughly) 10 metres of W103 I will need from the roof to where I have my radarbox. then this cable (W103) as it's more than 10mm in diameter, will need another small patch cable than on one side will connect to the ANRB with SMA and on the other with BNC. According to Harry Whestlake the W103 is too thick to attach a SMA plug. I hope I was clear this time.

thank you for your patience!!!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
Hi NB, yes, you definitely need a patch lead of (my personal opinion) at least 30cms, pref. 50cms with SMA plug on RB end and BNC in-line socket on the other end, or you can go for N-type in-line plugs (which would be my choice as they will accept W103 and are suitable frequency wise), every joint will incur losses, but nothing huge.   If possible keep all joints inside the roof.   M type - PL259/SO239 are not really suitable for UHF, fine for VHF.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:10:00 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
Hi NB,

For any questions regarding a DPD antenna, Dave at [email protected] will give you all the assistance you need.  Very helpful and a very good antenna.

They can also supply the patch at the RB end (as they did for me).

Andrew
16 NM SSW of LFMV (Avignon)
27 NM NW of LFML (Marseille)
Arles, France.

NB

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
thanks a lot!

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
Henry Westlake can supply a patch lead of whatever length you want, fitted with the required connectors.

Alan

Rotorsport

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »

NB

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
thanks! I also considered this antenna but went for the DPD......just waiting for it to be delivered :)