anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maximum flights tracked at any one time in MyFlights  (Read 9165 times)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
Re: Maximum flights tracked at any one time in MyFlights
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
I did try a Kuhne 1090 pre-amp (not to increase the number of contacts but as protection against the dreaded ESD or whatever it is that kills RadarBoxes) but it actually reduced the amount of aircraft I could see by @50% although it didn't seem to affect the range as I could still see aircraft into The Netherlands, France etc. :-(

Any idea why that would be Airnav?

I have what looks like the same antenna system (also fixed to the gable end of my house!!) and a similar problem, with the pre-amp powered I receive far fewer aircraft than when it is turned off (in bypass). I thought it was faulty and bought a second one, but same problem. I'd like to know what's going on with these pre-amp's too!

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
I have what looks like the same antenna system (also fixed to the gable end of my house!!) and a similar problem, with the pre-amp powered I receive far fewer aircraft than when it is turned off (in bypass). I thought it was faulty and bought a second one, but same problem. I'd like to know what's going on with these pre-amp's too!
If I'm not mistaken that is a 6db gain antenna. When the pre-amp is used, strong signals can overload the front end of the RadarBox.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
I agree with Tom, and have referred to this signal saturation in other posts - pre-amps come into their own, when you have a long length of co-ax - to counteract the losses - they won't magically receive more, they can only amplify the signal that's already there.   If you've got a good signal to start with and no great co-ax losses to overcome, they won't help and as you have found can actually hinder.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

GrizzFlyer

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I wonder if you guys that are getting the outstanding RB range and have the RB antenna mounted just about a horizontal TV antenna are benefiting from a bit more ground plane provided by the TV antenna?   Or maybe the TV antenna is reflecting more signal to the RB antenna than the RB antenna would have normally received without the TV antenna under it?   

jannuh

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Positive on the groundplane effect, did testing myself with original RB antenna and alu foil in my loft, gave better results.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Shouldn't make any difference as long as the groundplane is greater than a quarter wavelength.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
Interesting, I've tried it with the standard CD size disc, old Peugeot 405 disc (which doesn't get blown off the roof!), a Cadbury Roses tin lid and also without any ground plane - no difference between them.   There is no physical connection to the ground plane, so I'd assumed the magmount base worked as a capacitively coupled device.    Having said all that, when I first received Glyn's spare standard antenna, it worked superbly for the first 10 days or so, then started losing performance, on dismantling the centre core was dry-jointed to antenna whip, and the screen lead was an interference fit.   Once chemically cleaned and all soldered properly - fantastic performance and fully waterproof, just need the whip to be made from stainless/corrosion-proof material would be better.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
Somebody with more knowledge will probably correct me but if the aerial was a quarterwave vertical it would rely on the groundplane (quarterwave) to act as the 'mirror' of the other half of the antenna. It does not need to be physically connected. However, the issued aerial is, from memory. a half wave and like collinear arrays, is not sensitive to requiring an earth system.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Fenris

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
No, it's not a half wave, if it were it would need an impedance transformer to match several thousand ohms to 50 ohms. It's a colinear with a phasing coil, so it is a monopole and does need the ground plane.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
 Hi Brian, is the phasing coil the pig's tail/twiddly bit from about 1/4 to 1/2 the lower length of the whip?   I note the overall length of the whip and screw part in the base is 29cm - 1090MHz = 27.5 cm wavelength, upper section 14cms long?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:05:15 PM by CoastGuardJon »

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
Bottom section is 1/4 wave, top sectopn 1/2 wave. 1090 Mhz is 27 cm.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
Hi Jeremy, edit crossed with your reply!