anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems with new AirNav RadarBox 1090 Antenna  (Read 295 times)

Dennis Ro

Problems with new AirNav RadarBox 1090 Antenna
« on: May 16, 2024, 07:20:21 AM »
Hello, Flighttrackers :)
Since last week I have a running Raspberry Pi with Radarbox Feeder.
The RPi is outside on my Balcony, safe from rain and anything in a box. The first week I only had a indoor antenna. I know, that my balcony is not the best position to put an antenna on, but it's the only spot, where I can place it, because it is not my house.

So I wanted to improve my reception and bought the outdoor antenna Airnav Radarbox 1090.

The problem now is: With my little indoor Antenna I got abpout 100nm + reception and with the new way bigger antenna it's only about 40 nm and it sees much less aircrafts in the air.

I've made the setup twice, put every cable off and on again to check if I've made a mistake but it's not better.

I hope, someone could help me here. I really had hoped to get a better reception :(

The Dongle I'm using is Nooelec RTL-SDR v5 SDR.
The little indoor Antenna was Nooelec RaTLSnake M6 v2

New Antenna is this: https://shop.radarbox.com/collections/adsb-receivers/products/airnav-ads-b-1090-mhz-outdoor-antenna-with-sma-connector

Any help is really appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 07:22:39 AM by Dennis Ro »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Re: Problems with new AirNav RadarBox 1090 Antenna
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 03:27:50 PM »
One reason may be difference in loction of AirNav and NooElec antennas. Try changing location of AirNav antenna, as close to NooElec location as possible. Also try various other location in the Balcony.

The other reason may be difference in length and quality of coax cables of the two antennas.

Nooelec antenna "RaTLSnake M6 v2" has 2 meters coax cable type RG58, which has attenuation (signal loss) = 0.7 dB per meter

The AirNav 1090 Antenna has 30 feet (10 meters) cable (unknown specifications, unknown attenuation).

Due to longer coax cable length (10m) compared to short length (2m) and unknown specs of coax, the signal strength arriving at dongle from AirNav antenna possibly has less strength than signal arriving from NooElec antenna, resulting in reduction of range.

Try increasing gain setting of the dongle. Which decoder software you are using, dump1090-rb, or dump1090-fa, or readsb?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 03:39:40 PM by abcd567 »

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 04:21:04 PM »
It is possible you are suffering interference from TV masts, does.the reception get better if you ove the antennas inside the balcony.  Also as abcd advises move it around on the balcony to see where reception is best

I wouldnt like to thing the cable and its length will be the cause as i would like to think that has all been tested before production.  From what I see from reviews its a descent antenna

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 05:11:34 PM »
Alan is right. Another possible cause is strong RF interference  from nearby mobile/cell phone towers or TV towers

You can easily conduct a scan for presence of interference by method given in following How-to:

Do I Need A Filter?

Dennis Ro

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 05:12:42 PM »
Hi, thank you for your answer.
The Antenna is in the very same position as the nooelec was. This, because I only have one position on balcony where reception was good and it doesn’t interfere with anything else.

I am using the latest softwares from RadarBox and Flightradar installed after that. I really don’t know how the program is called.

What I have done:
1. installing new Raspberry Pi OS Lite (bookworm)
2. setup RBFeeder as described here: https://www.radarbox.com/raspberry-pi/guide
3. setup fr24 as described here: https://www.flightradar24.com/share-your-data

As much as I liked those step by step guides, I am now totally lost in answering your question regarding installed software and increasing gain setting (And I don’t know if it is a good way to do it, how I’ve did it - although FR24 and RB is feeded with data - so it certainly works)

Edit: the filter thing I have overseen. Will have a look now
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 05:16:07 PM by Dennis Ro »

Dennis Ro

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 10:27:34 AM »
Alan is right. Another possible cause is strong RF interference  from nearby mobile/cell phone towers or TV towers

You can easily conduct a scan for presence of interference by method given in following How-to:

Do I Need A Filter?

I don’t understand how to install PIL on bookworm.
But, could it be an interference problem since it wasn’t with the little antenna?

Little info beside:
Made yesterday everything new
Installed pi lite
Then dump1090-fa
Piaware
FrFeeder
RBFeeder
ADB-sexchange

Thought that would be a good idea to have a dump1090 instance
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:29:45 AM by Dennis Ro »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 08:48:56 PM »
@Denis Ro

Command to install PIL on Bookworm:

sudo apt install python3-pil   

Dennis Ro

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 09:47:20 PM »
@abcd567
@Denis Ro

Command to install PIL on Bookworm:

sudo apt install python3-pil   

Thank you, your advices are awesome. Found them across the internet.
Is it correct, that it shows that a filter is highly needed?

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 12:37:48 AM »
@Dennis Ro

Sure you need a filter. Please see cutout from your scan I have attached below.

A high gain antenna not only picks more ads-b signal, but also picks more out of band rf signals, which act as rf noise, and overload the dongle making it deaf to weaker signals from distant aircraft.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 12:43:49 AM by abcd567 »