AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RB on overseas trip  (Read 8283 times)

paagats

RB on overseas trip
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
Hi all

Before my trip I asked around for info/problems with taking RB overseas. Thanks for responses. No problems with customs etc. RB was always in checked luggage.
 Got a fright when I picked up my case in Zurich (checked straight through from Dubai via Heathrow) and found the padlock was missing but everything was there, laptop and RB, phew!!

I have now returned to Australia and happy to report that without the RB some of the airports visited would have been a bit of a waste because of poor/inadequate viewing facilities (no transport, just trips to the airports or from hotel windows).

I had share data ticked but don't know  if my logs came through as I was using the local hotel network connections where available.

Lots of hits without registrations (on database) especially Hong Kong, Dubai and Europe but to be fair many of these are very new a/c.

Worst experience was in Madrid. Our airport room looked straight out to the approach to the two runways and even though we could see up to 4 a/c lining up to each runway, RB was only picking up a few just as they disappeared behind some buildings. When they changed runway headings and were taking off 'away' from us, excellent hit rate as they climbed.

RB did freeze up a few times and had to reset but all in all performed very well. I was thankful in Seattle where after 3 hours on the carpark roof it started raining (Rain in Seattle - never!!!) so walked back to the hotel and pure luck that they changed runways and took off straight past the hotel. Lazy spotting at it's best.

Not RB's problem, but most annoying that a lot of a/c leave their transponders on when parked so they were clogging up the screen especially in CDG and LHR. Didn't think of setting a minimum height but then we wouldn't have picked up a/c pushing back, taxiiing.

Best value was in Dubai as very limited viewing area (and got 'interrogated' by local police as we were walking near hangars etc) so spotted from our hotel window and RB did the rest - excellent variety of a/c types and countries. Highlight was 3 IL-86's departing towards us - could hear them but couldn't 'see' them till they appeared past the apartment block in front of us.

Very fruitful trip (last big trip was 2005) 2400+ a/c but glad to be home.

So the message is, take your RB whenever you travel.

Peter, Sydney

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: RB on overseas trip
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:47:29 PM »
Thanks for the report, Peter.

Picked up your transmissions from Dubai - so I did outlines for Dubai and Sharjah airports to help track the planes around the airfields!

I also did an outline for Kingsford-Smith - hope you find it useful in the future - will we be getting regular info for the network from Oz in the future?

Rod
Rod

paagats

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »
Thought I already was as I always have share data ticked.

My laptop is not in the same room as the PC but have a router and can always get connection to internet when I need to.

Will set up again soon and see how we go.

Protzenalp

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
Currently sitting in a room at the Regal Airport Hotel in Hong Kong overlooking the airport. Great view and of course great reception of aircraft into Hong Kong, Macau and Shenzhen.

The RB is great for trips as it is compact and easy to pack.

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »
Receiving you loud and clear!

Thanks!

Rod
Rod

Jon B

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
Hi,

I`m new to the radar box having thought about it for a while the recent price drop justified treating myself to a new toy,and I must say I`m very impressed, its fascinating stuff.I`m normally on the other side of the radar screen so to speak, in that I`m a captain with a UK long haul airline. I`ve already taken the box away with me to new york and found it very easy to pack away in my case. Most of the hotels I stay in have an internet connection and I always carry my laptop so hopefully in the future you guys should be able to follow me around to some fairly interesting and thus far uncovered places like New York,Boston, Orlando, San Franciso, Jo`berg and the carribean Islands.But I don`t think I`ll risk taking it into Cuba!

Best wishes

Jon

RodBearden

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
Hi Jon and welcome.

We look forward to seeing your RadarBox in action.

AirNav say that they intend to revamp the Active User Locations map. I wonder if it would be possible to allow users to optionally identify themselves on it.

What do you think, AirNav?

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
Do you mean, optionally provide your actual location rather than the derived one or do you mean so it shows which location is a user?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »
I'm thinking that perhaps we could enter a Username (perhaps our Forum name, or perhaps another name) in Preferences, and that if we click a pin on the Network Locations map, it would show that name.

Does that sound possible (or desirable)?

Rod

Rod

paagats

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »
I was at the Regal as well back in April. Took us 3 go's to get an airport view as they kept giving us room that looked out onto the garden or something. Very poor visibilty when we were there but like yourself was picking up Macau, Shenzen traffic.

paagats

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »
Have reset the laptop so now sharing data from Sydney; currently 6:36 am so early mornig arrivals should start trickling through in about 5 mins. Some may already have got through but traffic is slow this time of the morning.

Protzenalp

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
I was at the Regal as well back in April. Took us 3 go's to get an airport view as they kept giving us room that looked out onto the garden or something. Very poor visibilty when we were there but like yourself was picking up Macau, Shenzen traffic.

Last time I was at the Regal I had a day room and it was looking out on the side and a bit of runway (that was used for all of 5 minutes). I complained too, not that it did much good at the time. This time I was luckier having complained to the hotel's management about it.

The Novotel Citygate has a good view of the airport from its upper floors, although not as close to the action for spotters.

Jon B

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
Hi all,

Orlando florida KMCO is up and running from my hotel room. Should be on and off untill about 5pm UK time tomorrow.

Cheers

Jon

RodBearden

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »
Receiving you loud and clear, Jon!

Great stuff!

Rod
Rod

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »
We want to screen shots from all these locations! Send them to the Screen Shots forum.