AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airbus A320 in NY River Hudson ditching  (Read 3795 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Airbus A320 in NY River Hudson ditching
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
Hi all, bearing in mind our interest in aircraft, what a fantastic result today from what could/should have been a disaster.   From BBC news it sounds as though the crew did an exemplary job, yes, I know they're trained to do it, but all credit to them and the river boats' crews.   For those who are religious, thank whichever God you worship.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Canonjohns40D

Re: Airbus A320 in NY River Hudson ditching
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
HI CGjon

I have to agree some 150odd people either got very lucky today or someone/something helped guide the plane down, Amazing. I just heared a report that one survivor had a family member lost during 911!!

No doubt both Pilot's and their cabin crew pulled out all the stops on this one, their skill and I assume realitive calm must have played a major role. I think 2009 needed some good news and we just got a little piece of it tonight.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

dudbaker

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Hi

When they lift the aircraft out of the river look for the RAT near the left LG.  If both engines were out then the RAT would have deployed giving some electrics plus Blue Hyraulics.  With Blue hydraulics he would have had 1/3 of his flying controls working.  He should have operated the ditching switch which would have closed the pressurisation out flow vavle plus valves for equipment cooling.  No need to free fall the LG.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
No need to free fall the LG.

Yes, lowering the gear before a ditching is the kind of thing that could ruin your entire day.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
It will also be interesting to see if the engines are still attached.  I'd imaging that the deceleration caused by the drag would be severe.  I recall that the B707 engines were attached by fittings designed to break and release the engine if a certain load factor was in exceeded - I wonder if this is still a design criteria.

This was certainly an impressive feat of airmanship.  I would imagine that the most decisive action here was the positive decision by the crew to ditch the aircraft rather than attempting to stretch the flight to a runway.

You may find this interesting too - the BAe Nimrod ditching back in 1995

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950516-0