anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: static  (Read 1669 times)

hugh

static
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
Is their a way to discharge static build up in the aerial before i plug it in to navbox,is static a problem to box

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: static
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
Hi Hugh, if you've been handling the antenna, there'll not be any charge on it, you'll have earthed it, if it's an external aerial lead, touching centre pin with your finger'll earth it. AN will say that static is not a problem, but quite a lot of us have had dead boxes, which have then been modified and repaired by AN through W&S Ltd., and if you're out and about in your car and go to plug in an antenna that has been mag-mounted on the roof and driven along in this glorious hot, dry weather can build up a huge charge.   With all these synthetic materials used in upholstery and cars being insulated from earth by non-conductive rubber can build a huge charge, last week as I got out of my 07 Passat estate, as I went to close the door, there was an audible crack as static jumped from my middle finger to the car, about 1.5 cm, leaving my finger numb for a few minutes - what's that going  to do to sensitive electronic components..............?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

hugh

Re: static
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »
I think thats what happened to my box just had it returned working ok now so dont want it to happen again.
Thanks for reply.
Hugh