AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spotting Scope  (Read 4031 times)

raflec

Spotting Scope
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:09:49 PM »
I like to look at aircraft flying over after seeing them on Radarbox. I find my binoculars are not powerful enough to see a good clear image of the aircraft. Has anyone used a spotting scope for doing this if so how effective is it and have you any recommendations.
Sorry if this is a little off subject.
Graham

bearcat

Re: Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
Hi

I use an old 20 x 60 Nikon and find it good to point and look at a known object, but not too good for scanning the skies looking for an aircraft, as the field of view is a bit narrow. For this I prefer my 10 x 50 binoculars. If you go for too high a magnification you will have trouble holding anything still.

It could be a good idea to go and try a scope before you buy at the local shop and get the feel of one. Hope this helps

Stewart

Spaice

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
I use a Sworovski scope woth an 20-60 zoom, using the 20X to locate the aircraft as this will give the widest and brightest view, once located you can then zoom in, however you will need a tripod as hand holding will not be possible.  It's hard to recommend one piece of equipment as it depands on many factors not least available funds, you get what you pay for.  Look out for used examples you can get good value this way and you can try digi-scoping too.

gzerovti

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
Hi Graham,

Funnily enough I have just bought a brand new scope on ebay.

It is 12 to 60 magnification.

It is very good with the low mag you can get the plane and then gradually up the mag to the max if required.

Takes a bit of getting used to but better than my binoculors.

I have a full size tripod as well but I dont know if it will be possible to find and hold a plane using this?

Worth getting a scope though. Mine was brand new and cost £50 for scope, table tripod and full size tripod.

Terry
G0VTI - On the flight path to EGNM

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
As a spotter I spent money on good optics.  I use an Opticron HR66 scope.  Amazingly good optics.  I have  22x and 35x eyepieces and were the best quality available.

Graham
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:00:26 PM by GreekSpy2001 »

Bigyun2000

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
Hi Graham,

Funnily enough I have just bought a brand new scope on ebay.

It is 12 to 60 magnification.

It is very good with the low mag you can get the plane and then gradually up the mag to the max if required.

Takes a bit of getting used to but better than my binoculors.

I have a full size tripod as well but I dont know if it will be possible to find and hold a plane using this?

Worth getting a scope though. Mine was brand new and cost £50 for scope, table tripod and full size tripod.

Terry

@gzerovti   Have you the item number please?
Cheers

gzerovti

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi,

My scope is a "Cosina", I believe they make lenses for Pentax and some other big names.

It was a private sale so I dont think there are anymore on Ebay.

I will look for a number.

Cheers

Terry
G0VTI - On the flight path to EGNM