anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ariel Advice Please  (Read 3453 times)

dauntless

Ariel Advice Please
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
Hi

Im using the ariel supplied with my nav box and was wondering if anyone can please suggest where i could perhaps get an extention to the cable? I went to maplins earlier today in Bristol and although that had the male and female conectors they sadly never had the cable needed (although they didn't let me know the best suitable cable). At home currently i have the ariel outside bedroom windo on ledge and cable dangles to downstairs window into nav box. I think i will get a better pick up at back of house and really want a 50 - 100 ft extention cable. Hope all this makes sense

Kind wishes

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Ariel Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
Hi

Im using the ariel supplied with my nav box and was wondering if anyone can please suggest where i could perhaps get an extention to the cable? I went to maplins earlier today in Bristol and although that had the male and female conectors they sadly never had the cable needed (although they didn't let me know the best suitable cable). At home currently i have the ariel outside bedroom windo on ledge and cable dangles to downstairs window into nav box. I think i will get a better pick up at back of house and really want a 50 - 100 ft extention cable. Hope all this makes sense

Kind wishes

Andy

I'd forget an extension that long, as you will loose a great deal of the signal in the cable.  I use a USB extender form Maplin that uses ordinary CAT5 network cable to give up to 50m (164ft) of extension and it powers my RadarBox.  That way you can keep the box next to the antenna and use the USB extension without any signal loss.  See the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221290&C=SO&U=strat15

dauntless

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
Hi

Kind wishes

Andy

I'd forget an extension that long, as you will loose a great deal of the signal in the cable.  I use a USB extender form Maplin that uses ordinary CAT5 network cable to give up to 50m (164ft) of extension and it powers my RadarBox.  That way you can keep the box next to the antenna and use the USB extension without any signal loss.  See the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221290&C=SO&U=strat15

Thanks Allocator, but forgive me for being a bit dim, but can you explain how you work that, i looked at the link, so what cable(s) would i need to connect into the Extender? i assume that there are adapter connectors to the USB/Nav box, sorry for being bit thick

Best wishes

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
No problem Andy,

The USB extender come as 2 items - one part plugs into your PC - it has a USB plug on it just like the one on the end of your RadarBox lead that goes into the USB socket in your PC.  The other part has a USB socket in it and you plug your USB lead - in this case, the lead that comes with Radarbox.  OK so far - the only bit that is missing now is the cable that goes between the two parts - one plugged into your PC, and the other with your RadarBox lead plugged into it.  What you use here is a standard Ethernet cable like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44943

This cable extension has identical plugs on each end, and these plug into the 2 parts of the USB extender to join the whole lot together. Note that this isn't a Network connection, it's a USB extension that uses Network cable because it's easily available and cheap.  I've attached a few more pictures for you.

dauntless

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
Thank you ever so much Allocator, the brain box here is now on the same page, will look into this further.

I'm still trying to work out setting up to view aircraft on the ground i have a little more4 understanding about the QNH situation, but yet know one as yety comfirmed that i once believed you could filter through "my flights"?

Best wishes

Andy

PS My network has been done for couple of day's now, not all that bothered as still using 3.01 beta, but thought i would let you guys know