AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Antenna - first impressions  (Read 8935 times)

bratters

Re: New Antenna - first impressions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
Hi Dunc

I've had the radarmax up for three weeks now and the attached screenshot is self-explanatory. I am usually showing 150ish in MyFlights peaking 275-300 on timeout settings of 5secs.

Just how much of this virtual doubling of performance is due to the radarmax and as opposed to simply sticking a twig in the clear above the roof apex is impossible to say of course. Still, I'm happy enough.

Interesting to see how things are for you in a few weeks. BTW I see we're reasonably close geographically.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Blimey Bratters - we don't often get completely circular polars like that.

You must be in a superb location.

Rod
Rod

bratters

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »

Blimey Bratters - we don't often get completely circular polars like that.

You must be in a superb location.

Rod

Not that I know of Rod. East Midlands on the outskirts of a place called Bingham.

I suppose it's fairly flat, esp. to the east and south. Peak district north of course. I'm 110ft asl in a standard two level detached house with a 600mtr clear view across a field to the south but otherwise houses to north, east and west.

I attach an old "Hey Whats That" prediction chart I did which has turned out to be amazingly accurate. It even looks a touch conservative but that's because the Polar Diagram is built on maximums - ie flights of probably 39000-40000 feet.

I've tried to follow the tips learnt on here - box near aerial, maximum USB, minimum coax and aerial as high as poss. I failed a bit on the latter as the chimney stack is a bit iffy but overall I am very chuffed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
Well, my polar is pretty good - I'm on top of a bit of a hill, but there's a big tree to the south, and a much bigger hill to the east, so it's much lumpier than yours!

Rod
Rod

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi John, brilliant polar diagram.   I really must get my Watsons up.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dunc8543

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
Bratters,

I live in Leicester so we are not that far away!
Before the external aerial if i had the box on for 12 hours i would be looking at approx 1200 flights with an average of about 30 on screen at once.
Today i have logged 4200 flights with not less than 130 flights on screen at any one time.
Incidentally the most was 200!
I am very very pleased so far with the aerial, i am not getting quite the range that you do but i think that is solely down to it not quite being high enough up on my chimney.
I am hoping that i will pick up a few more exotic military items now as well as all the usual C17's etc

Dunc