AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 4469 times)

rnsavage

Newbie Questions
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
Firstly, let me introduce myself - my name is Rick Savage and I live near Manchester Airport (EGCC).

I have had the RB for 1 week now, and really enjoying it. It took me a while to take the plunge, and comparing the SBS to the RB. So far, the experience is a very good one, and now looking at how best to setup my RB to enhance my aircraft spotting experience. I love the fact that everything is in one program, and that was one of the main reasons to buy it, as with SBS it seemed you had to buy/install lots of seperate programs to get the same result!

Unfortunately, I seem to one of the members who has the slow menus issue. Seems to be more common when I have the network flights turned on. I have a Samsung NC10 laptop which has Windows XP installed. Not tried it on any other PC so far.

I am off to Paris in 2 weeks, and that leads me onto populating the database with data that did not come with the default one from the install. At home I have an internet connection, so the autopopulate is working great. In Paris I will not...

So I have been using the Network flights to get the RB database with as much stuff in as possible, and thats where it could be improved slightly for me. I am sorting the aircraft into reg order on the Network tab, and then using the mouse wheel to scroll through the list where there is no reg, to get the autopoulate to kick in for those unknown aircraft. Is there a better way, or an enhancement that could be added into a later version to auto pick these up (I read the other posts about splitting the photo and autopopulate into seperate options in a new version, so would be good to have the autopopulate picking up anything not in the main RB database, and then just having the photo option download when you select the aircraft).

(I know ADU and Aviation Databases have a SQB export function for SBS. I presume the import from SQB option was just for SBS to RB users?).

The next one is to do with the altitude, which is only recorded against aircraft with ADSB data in MyLog, and there is also no way to filter in myLog against this (you can that data in the map, and in the MyFlights section. I quite often at home pickup the Flybe DHC-8s departing, which display the altitude in MyFlights. I am hoping the much talked about 2.10 version will have some of the extra functionality which will help me.

Senario for me might be abroad, lying on a beach or pool, with the RB in the hotel room logging away. I would then want the RB to report everything that I have seen inbound to the airport, and not the overflights trailing over.

Another enhancement, in Quick Filter in MyFlights, is there an Advanced Option which could be added. For example, you might want to display the details of anything that is Landing or Taking Off, but not anything else. I am just trying the filter Altitude less than 10000 at the moment, but sometimes that also displays aircraft that are not reporting an altitude. I know you can filter the map much better than the MyFlights list, but sometimes that list is a good reference as a quick look at whats coming in or departing if you sat at the airport.

Lastly, sorry about the long mail! I have been reading about what Steve Bruce has designed for ADU for the SBS, in that you can display on the map or aircraft listing if you need the reg or frame, or if you have seen it before. Is there any plans to have somekind of user text reference in RB, which I could then write a hook into (I still use a database program I wrote). I see there is a Comments field in MyLog, but its in the main RB database I was thinking.

Looking forward to reading more on the forum, and using the RB.

Regards

Rick Savage

GlynH

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
Congrats on the RB and welcome to the forum Rick.

Like you I have the slow menu issues which also affects most everything else I want to do whether it is using MyLog, MyAlerts, Database Explorer etc. although I never have Network Flights turned on - I am only interested in what my own RB can 'see'...

The NC10 is a netbook is it not? I am guessing it doesn't have a great deal of horsepower, memory and the HDD subsystem is not going to ne condusive to speed but there those around here who use netbooks so maybe one of them will chip in?

Having said that it is still a great bit of kit and I don't regret my purchase whatsoever - as you say it is great to have everything in the one package without all of the other bolt-ons.

I can't be much help with your Populate question I'm afraid but again there those around here who know much more about this than I do.

Keep your fingers crossed that some of your enhancements will be incorporated into the soon-to-be-released v2.10 - I am hoping some of mine will be!

More importantly a fix has been promised for the slow menu issues and the release is imminent so hang in there Rick...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »
Hi Rick,

Welcome, I agree the NC10 is a netbook, so it might struggled when you have all the features turned on to max. The new version will be out soon which should resolve the slow menu issue.

The reason why we don't allow the network to populate auto is because at times there could be 1000+ aircraft on there and that would put a lot of pressure on the aircraft database server.

We have noted your other points.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

rnsavage

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Yes the Samsung NC10 is a netbook, and I installed onto here so that it is easier to take abroad.

Yes agree with the power is probably not as good as my work laptop or home PC. I will review 2.10, and see how it performs, and maybe also try on my home PC.

Re: Network autopopulate. I am only interested in the ones that have no registration and type tie up, not if they have a photo. Typically this maybe only about 20 when you first turn network on each time.

Thanks again

spanman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
Hi Rick welcome to the forum you made the right choice ! I too am a Manchester spotter live in Wilmslow and am aircrew for Flybe .I'm often at the av park so might see you there .Plenty of help here if you need it .Cheers,Mark
Flybe Crew on the Dash 8 Q400  Embraer 175
and Embraer 195

rnsavage

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
Mark

Thanks - I presume you know Ken Powell then, pilot for Flybe also living in Wilmslow?

Rick

p.s. live in Wilmslow too!

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:04:43 AM »
Spanman

Just think with the new version of the software, you'll be able to follow your own flights?
15 Miles East of EGNJ

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Just think with the new version of the software, you'll be able to follow your own flights?

Complete with route details as well!!

On topic, I find the Samsung NC10 is powerful enough to run RB okay.  I can't say I've run it with network flights turned on, but I use my NC10 when out-and-about for mobile reception.  See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1413.msg14430#msg14430
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:40:06 AM by tarbat »

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »
Brilliant it just makes me want the new software more, thanks tarbat
15 Miles East of EGNJ