AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar diagram after installing external antenna  (Read 11623 times)

Starburstdave

Polar diagram after installing external antenna
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi
Just thought I would post a screenshot of my polar diagram after I installed the Watson Radar Extender antenna this afternoon. I am well pleased with the extra coverage

Dave

Johnn

• Y'ello
Re: Polar diagram after installing external antenna
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »
Great Coverage!
I take it you are on high ground with not many things to obstruct the view?
John
Johnn -

Starburstdave

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »
Hi John

According to my GPS my location is  370ft above sea level and my antenna is then mounted on the chimney stack which extends at least 4ft above the roof apex .The antenna extends beyond the chimney by nearly the same again. My location is just outside Rotherham in South Yorkshire.

Dave

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Hi Dave,
 Is this with a preamp as well?

Regards

Gary

Starburstdave

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
Hi Gary

No I don't use a pre amp .Just the antenna mounted on a 2m pole with Westflex 103 cable.

regards

Dave

Starburstdave

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
Garry

This is my latest screenshot.This time I have included the Range rings .

Dave

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »
Dave,

Looks impressive.  Had you tried any other antennas before and did you do much research before settling on this.  Seen articles on the forum about some antennas affected by Static (ESD) alleged etc.  I live on the east coast up in Northumberland so I should have good coverage from 360 through east to 180 with views out to sea level. Everything West of me is high ground and houses so I would lose out on the main overland routes through POLE HILL, TALLA and DEAN CROSS.  So i am looking for an antenna to optimise for range at low level down the East coast.  Is there any polar diagrams for this aerial.  Interested in the BMA564 over IOW indicating FL200 I guess about 120-150 miles, nice to have known how far he tracked out.  Still thinking about buying just have to persuade the wife!

Regards

Gary

Starburstdave

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Gary

Only other antenna that I have used is the supplied one. It gave good reception to the east,north and south but was very poor to the west due to buildings.Spent a couple of weeks reading different posts on this forum regarding the choice of external antennas available . I opted for the Watson Radar extender after reading a few reviews . I also read some of the posts regarding the static discharge but most of it was too much for me to understand and confusing,but then again I am not very technically minded. Fingers crossed so far I have  not had any trouble. I am very careful when connecting and disconnecting the antenna to the Radarbox. Sorry I do not have any screenshots from the supplied radarbox antenna. In my opinion and for what it is worth most of the external antennas  are probably much the same performance wise , it is the length and quality of the cable that makes the difference.  My cable run is 15m of Westflex 103.

Most of what you may loose to the West you should be able to see via the network,but this will be subject to 5min delay.

Regards

Dave

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
Dave,

Good info thanks for taking the time to post back.  Looking at these pics and not using a preamp has made my mind up.  RB plus the Watson antenna and westflex 103 and I just hope the washing machine or dishwasher does not go on the blink before my birthday.

I would like to see anyones screen captures out to the east when the Danger Areas are closed and the Conditional Air Routes are active.

Regards

Gary