anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radio call sign "Jersey"  (Read 8216 times)

drskeptical

Radio call sign "Jersey"
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
Hello
At the risk of asking a stupid question, but if you don't know then you don't know.
But when I am listening on the radio my local airport is Manchester EGCC, I here plenty of air craft with the call sign "Jersey XXXX" I think this call sign belongs to Flybe / European airlines but I never ever see them on the radar screen.
Is this airline not playing? I would have thought they would be up and running with all the latest equipment, or is there any other reason?

Any advice would be appreciated

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
Re: Radio call sign "Jersey"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »
Flybe certainly do use the call sign "Jersey XXX", but I don't know why. I have noticed that many of their registrations are G-JE?? , so it may be to reflect the JE part of their reg.

Their Dash 8's and Embraers don't seem to have been upgraded to transmit ADS-B and hence no positional data for us to see.

drskeptical

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »
Hi
OK, thanks for the info, it does help. I noticed the same and also no Flight ID.
I will just have to wait until they equip their palnes.

Thanks again.

testmonkey

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »
They use the call sign Jersey as they started out life in 1979 as Jersey European Airways. In 2000 they were rebranded as British European and subsequently became FlyBe but have retained the Jersey callsign throughout.
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

drskeptical

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:16:40 AM »
They use the call sign Jersey as they started out life in 1979 as Jersey European Airways. In 2000 they were rebranded as British European and subsequently became FlyBe but have retained the Jersey callsign throughout.

Hi testmonkey
Thanks for info, that explains the relationship between "Jersey" and European / Flybe.
I did think when listening that there seems to be a load of air traffic from Jersey :)