anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna Question  (Read 6257 times)

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
Antenna Question
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
I was just wondering if anybody knows if these antennas are any good and if one of them is better than the RB antenna.

Thanks.

RADARAMA BASE ANTENNA FOR AIRNAV RADARBOX AND KINETIC AVIONICS SBS-1
http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/radarama-base-antenna-for-airnav-radarbox-and-kinetic-avionics-sbs-1-1488-p.asp

RADAR-EXTENDER External antenna for RadarBox & SBS-1
http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/radar-extender-external-antenna-for-radarbox--sbs-1-1500-p.asp

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
Re: Antenna Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
Is it possible to get a reply on this ???

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
Might be worth a PM to Mark07 or SteveB, who have both posted about one of these antenna before.

dudbaker

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »
Hi

Here are my thoughts on antennas.   What do you mean by best?  Weather proofed so it will last a long time.  Best range?  Best range probably means the longer the better.  Remember, if you make it longer you need a matching device.   How about the coax?

Most important is the location.  Mine is made by exposing a 1/4 wave of the centre electrode on a piece of coax and putting it on the roof.  I was not looking for range but wanted to see aircraft at low level.  Landing at Stansted.  When looking at range I get 60 to 90 miles in most directions.  However, there is a big v cut out to the west.  This lines up with my chimney.  Not a problem at 243 MHz but not good at 1090 MHz.

So select a good antenna and coax by all means but give plenty of thought to location.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply but I am afraid to say that I know nothing, nothing at all about antennas .. "1/4 wave of the centre electrode on a piece of coax" That is Chinese for me all that happens is that I get dandruff on my shoulders from scratching my head...*lol*

Thank you for answering..

Hamish

dudbaker

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:30:45 PM »
Hi

The first antenna has a 5 bd gain and the second has 6.3 db gain.  The second is twice the price.  The tech bit in my reply was to cover all angles. But my advice pick an antenna but make sure you site it well.  You are probably going to spend as much again on coax and hardware.

More Tech.  300/1090/4=0.068.  About 6.5 cm.  Where 300 is the speed of light.

Just expose 6.5 cm of one end of coax and put the other in the box and see what happens.  By expose I mean pull back the braid.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »
Thanks again

Keith L

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
I have the "Radar Extender".  It is sited just above roof level and there are 8m of low-loss coax attaching it to the RB.  It is difficult to compare accurately as the supplied antenna was never positioned to the best advantage.  My house is about 250' above sea level and I get a range of about 70 miles in all directions with significant spikes to the south and east.  I'm glad I bought it.
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
Hmmm... I am thinking of buying it...This is getting expensive *lol*

bratters

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
If it's any help to you Hamish I use only the supplied aerial stuck as high as possible on the glass of my bedroom window facing south.

My polar diagram shows two distinct hemispheres. To the south I average 130 nm going to 200nm plus in peaks. The north averages only 50nm peaking around 70nm.  I have an area between 30 and 90 degrees where I never get further than 30/40nm.

Hamish McTorsk

• Radarspotters
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
All input helps ... Thank you

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
Hamish, Whats your view like?, are you on high ground or low ground? any big obstructions around?
Thanks
John
Johnn -

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
Hi Hamish, just put an external aerial on the chimney for the RB and my AOR8200 scanner.These are the links I would look at,
www.whwestlake.110mb.com  for cable
www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm    this is what I have.
Please Email as I have other comments, if it would help.
I now have 56+ on myflights & 193 msg/sec a big improvement
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

Starburstdave

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
Hi Hamish

Just installed the Watson Radar Extender External antenna this afternoon and wow what a difference it has made to my Polar diagram and the amount of flights being received.At one stage this afternoon I had 209 flights in my flights of which 65 were being tracked. It has been well worth the money.Posted a screenshot in the Screenshot section.Conncted with 15metre of Westflex 103.

Dave

Mark07

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
Hi Hamish,
As tarbat rightly mentioned I have been running the Watson Radar Extender for since I got RB really.  I am located in the NW of Ireland, no major 'airport' traffic to talk about except for 'Ireland West' AKA 'Knock'.  I am approx 35 miles away and get them onto the ground. 

With the RB antenna my max range was approx 165 miles, I see traffic now into Scotland as far as Inverness/Wales/IOM and of course all transatlantic flights coming over Ireland.  Approx range now is 215 nm to the south of my location being cut right down to approx 70nm to the NW because of high mountain ranges.

I have the antenna connected to Westflex cable and it has a 15 meter run to the RB.  The antenna is located on the gable of the house.

The antenna definitely works well for me and I am happy with the results.  Hope this helps.