AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New AirNav RadarBox User Maintained Aircraft Database  (Read 14574 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
New AirNav RadarBox User Maintained Aircraft Database
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
We have good news for AirNav RadarBox users.
We have just started the process of developing a central database, maintained by users, with updated aircraft information. This has been a long time request and we are happy to start implementing it now.

The RadarBox client application will always look at this database for aircraft details first and only if the details cannot be found there it will try to retrieve data from the GAS central servers.

We have just created a closed discussion board on the forum accessible only to "Database Updaters" where all the discussion regarding new aircraft information will take place.

We are now accepting volunteers for this task. Feel free to send us a PM if you are interested.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: New AirNav RadarBox User Maintained Aircraft Database
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
The RadarBox client application will always look at this database for aircraft details first and only if the details cannot be found there it will try to retrieve data from the GAS central servers.

Presumably you mean that the RadarBox client application will:

a) interrogate the user-maintained database

b) if no data found in (a), interrogate the AirNav server (as at present)

c)  if no data found in (b), interrogate GAS (as at present)

Or is your omission of any reference to step (b) significant ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
Correct.

DaveReid

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Correct.

You can't answer an either/or question with "correct" !
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
I'm sorry for the not so detailed explanation.

The below statements are correct. Anyway and as usual we are totally open for changes/requests as per our users suggestions. The discussion is open.

a) Interrogate the user-maintained database
b) If no data found in (a), interrogate the AirNav server (as at present)
c) If no data found in (b), interrogate GAS (as at present)

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
Good news guys

I'm sure were going to get a lot of "what if" questions based around this unfortunately though.

, maintained by users, with updated aircraft information.

We have just created a closed discussion board on the forum accessible only to "Database Updaters" where all the discussion regarding new aircraft information will take place.

We are now accepting volunteers for this task. Feel free to send us a PM if you are interested.

Hope this means we're going to have some "backstop" check on who's updating and/or validity of the update,otherwise we're going to get in a free-for-all situation

Is it right to put the onus on a team of what would appear to be volunteers for "digging" out the information?

In my view this is a pretty big ask!

Rich

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »
Good news guys

I'm sure were going to get a lot of "what if" questions based around this unfortunately though.

, maintained by users, with updated aircraft information.

Hope this means we're going to have some "backstop" check on who's updating and/or validity of the update,otherwise we're going to get in a free-for-all situation

Only authorized users (a closed group of volunteers) will be able to make and validate changes.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
[[/quote]

Only authorized users (a closed group of volunteers) will be able to make and validate changes.
[/quote]

OK - thank's for the clarification chaps

Rich

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
Hi

Can we have some people to volunteer to help update the database, those people who have been moarning about the database would be good to start with.

Interested PM support

radarspotter10

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Hi

Can we have some people to volunteer to help update the database, those people who have been moarning about the database would be good to start with.

Interested PM support

Yes.
Put their money where their mouth is.
from Pat

DaveReid

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »

Come again ?

I'll happily add to the several dozen updates I've already submitted on this thread: www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0 but I didn't realise we were expected to pay for the privilege !

ACW367

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
PM sent

abrad41

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:37:46 PM »
Thank you

ACW367

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »

Come again ?

I'll happily add to the several dozen updates I've already submitted on this thread: www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0 but I didn't realise we were expected to pay for the privilege !

Dave,

Aren't you wasting your time by making all those posts?  Does anybody do anything with this information?  I don't recall anybody saying that they are updating their database using your posted information - might be wrong here and I'm interested to hear if I am.

Wouldn't it be just as easy for you populate this proposed database instead rather than posting to the thread you refer to?

eggplant

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »

Come again ?

Dave,

Aren't you wasting your time by making all those posts?  Does anybody do anything with this information?  I don't recall anybody saying that they are updating their database using your posted information - might be wrong here and I'm interested to hear if I am.

Wouldn't it be just as easy for you populate this proposed database instead rather than posting to the thread you refer to?

Just for the record - I (and many others I'm sure) are grateful to Dave for his notes on the database inaccuracies.  As for the "Does anybody do anything with this information?" question. The answer is yes, and guess what I do with it ? Surprise, surprise -  I update my database, although I'm sure users must have found many other uses for the info Dave supplies.

It'll be interesting to see how this idea of user-volunteer maintained database idea develops. Should it actually come to fruition I reckon Airnav will be laughing all the way to the bank. As I understand Airnav already gains revenue from users to view their own collective data on the network - and now it seems possible that the very same fee-paying users may be updating the database for AN free of charge too. Nice one Airnav ! Move over Sir Alan Sugar.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.