anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User.  (Read 3742 times)

mimtarsden

New User.
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have just traded up from an SBS-1 to a  Radarbox having only had the SBS-1 for a few weeks, I hated having to have multiple programs running to populate date etc etc.. all made my pc run very slow and the software was very clunky. 

So far with the radarbox (V1.5) I have had no problems at with the software crashing at all or running slow I am using an old IBM Thinkpad laptop with 1.8Ghz P4M processor and a gig of ram.  Generally I am very pleased with the software but I do miss a couple of the features of the SBS-1 Basestation software. As the development team seem to be very enthusiastic about adding features and applying fixes I thought I’d shout up with a few of mine and maybe some bugs I found.

I live about 3 Miles from EGCC I like to be able to see what aircraft landed and departed.  On basestation reporter on the SBS-1 there was a lot more information listed for each flight, such as if the first or last contact was on the ground and the first and last altitude and first and last lat and long.  This allowed me to see if a particular aircraft had landed or taken off.  With MyLog I can’t do this unless the route information for a particular flight is found, even then this does not tell me for sure if the flight landed as it could have been diverted.  I also find the vast majority of flights do not have route information so I cant easily tell if a particular aircraft landed or just overflew.

Also on the main screen there is the CN shown for a lot of the aircraft but this is not saved by MyLog.

Would it be possible to make the columns in the main screen list view to have configurable positions by dragging them? and add a column for the length of time a particular aircraft has been tracked for so I can sort with the most recent on top oldest at the bottom?

I am confused with timeouts.  I have mine set at 30 seconds to mark timeouts and 60 seconds to hide them.  I thought that when radarbox lost the signal from the aircraft 30 seconds later the list view of radarbox would show ‘Timeout’ on and on the radar screen the Aircraft would change colour according to what was set in the colours preference.  Then 30 seconds after that (60 in total) the aircraft would be removed from the screen and the list.  I can’t see that this is happening, the aircraft just disappear no colour change or timeout appears in the list.  Every now and then I do notice an aircraft may say timeout in the list but it seems random.  Is this how it’s supposed to work?

In the filter toolbar on the main screen the box for ‘airline’ doesn’t work properly when in the dropdown/search function.  As you type nothing happens, if you click ok nothing happens.  The others for origin/destination/airport work fine.

Thanks.
Tim.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: New User.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum :-)

I live about 3 Miles from EGCC I like to be able to see what aircraft landed and departed.  On basestation reporter on the SBS-1 there was a lot more information listed for each flight, such as if the first or last contact was on the ground and the first and last altitude and first and last lat and long.  This allowed me to see if a particular aircraft had landed or taken off.  With MyLog I can’t do this unless the route information for a particular flight is found, even then this does not tell me for sure if the flight landed as it could have been diverted.  I also find the vast majority of flights do not have route information so I cant easily tell if a particular aircraft landed or just overflew.

That is a limitation of the RadarBox software at the moment I'm afraid.  All the information you are looking for is available via port 7879 in XML format, but nobody has written a routine to use this information yet.  I'd like to, but I'm not clever enough! There is also data out on port 30003, and this can be captured in csv format and examined in a spreadsheet, but the output is still being developed so the format might change.  Hopefully, more information will be available via MyLog in the future.

Also on the main screen there is the CN shown for a lot of the aircraft but this is not saved by MyLog.

As the Mode S Hex code is unique, you can identify individual aircraft by using this.  If you look up the Hex code in airframes.org or using the Gatwick Aviation Society Mode S lookup, you will be able to see the Constructors Number.

Would it be possible to make the columns in the main screen list view to have configurable positions by dragging them? and add a column for the length of time a particular aircraft has been tracked for so I can sort with the most recent on top oldest at the bottom?

This is a reasonable request and maybe AirNav Development will consider this for a later version?

I am confused with timeouts.  I have mine set at 30 seconds to mark timeouts and 60 seconds to hide them.  I thought that when radarbox lost the signal from the aircraft 30 seconds later the list view of radarbox would show ‘Timeout’ on and on the radar screen the Aircraft would change colour according to what was set in the colours preference.  Then 30 seconds after that (60 in total) the aircraft would be removed from the screen and the list.  I can’t see that this is happening, the aircraft just disappear no colour change or timeout appears in the list.  Every now and then I do notice an aircraft may say timeout in the list but it seems random.  Is this how it’s supposed to work?

Read the section on Timeouts in the Advanced section of the PDF version of the manual (page 77).  Note that there settings for both live and Network traffic.

However, you are right in what you say about live tracks not changing colour on the map when they time out.  These aircraft still appear in the aircraft list and show "Timeout" but then disappear from the map without changing colour.

Also, it doesn't look like the Network Timeout is working either, so you might have discovered a bug here - I really hadn't noticed.

In the filter toolbar on the main screen the box for ‘airline’ doesn’t work properly when in the dropdown/search function.  As you type nothing happens, if you click ok nothing happens.  The others for origin/destination/airport work fine.

You are correct again here.  I've never noticed this as I just type in the airline code like BAW or AAL and hit enter, rather than using the drop down search.

OK, so you've found some new stuff that AirNav needs to look at.  They are very good at addressing problems so I'll sure they will take this on board.

All the best

Allocator

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »
Hi Tim

Firstly welcome to the RadarBox forum and we are glad you switched over.

MyLog:

This is a new function and we have received lots of feedback customers and we hope to add new features for the next versions soon. Keep posted on the forum for news. (Having said that as Allocator has mentioned a quick addon can do the above using the database)

Toolbar Filter & Timeouts:

Small bug here, once you use the drop down click on the word airline in the filter menu twice and it should you use it. This will be corrected. We will also look into the timeout issue you mentioned.

Lastly we have copied the request for more configuration on my flights.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

mimtarsden

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  It’s good to know that development is continuing and making the product stronger.

You are correct again here.  I've never noticed this as I just type in the airline code like BAW or AAL and hit enter, rather than using the drop down search.

Thanks for that I didn’t realise you could type the airline code directly in the box, I thought it was the full airline name.  It would be nice if it worked in any case.

We will also look into the timeout issue you mentioned.

If it’s any use to you, with regard to the timeouts, it's flights with ADS-B information that never seem to timeout and just disappear flights without ADS-B show ‘Timeout’ in myflights.

Thanks again.

Tim