AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rb feeder on RPI4 B does not work  (Read 8912 times)

CB17

rb feeder on RPI4 B does not work
« on: January 08, 2024, 06:55:07 PM »
Hello everyone, trying in vain to install the rb feeder on an RPI 4 Model B. Unfortunately without success. It worked without any problems on an RPI3. Now I wanted to create a second station with an RPI4. Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance. I get the following messages:

pedrão18

Re: rb feeder on RPI4 B does not work
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 01:28:25 PM »
Hello.
Is the RPI OS version 12 (Bookworm) or 11 (Bullseye) installed?

To find this, try command:
Code: [Select]
lsb_release -a
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:36:55 PM by pedrão18 »

pedrão18

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:35:07 PM »
If version is Bookworm, you can try ABCD567's solution, in this post:
==================================
(A) Installing rbfeeder on Bookworm
==================================

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:37:09 PM by pedrão18 »

CB17

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 04:20:54 PM »
At that point it was Bookworm. Then I installed the Bullseye 32 bit. But it didn't work either. As a last hope, I took another MicroSD card, one that was too big (128 GB) because I didn't have another one, and tried again. Also with Bullseye 32 Bit! and lo and behold, it worked. The great instructions from @abcd helped me a lot. Thank you!!! However, the MLAT problem still exists. Although it runs again and again, it stops after a certain time. Like right now at the moment. Today everything was ok, but now without MLAT. Well no matter. But maybe it will start again on its own. Let's see.

In the end, I still don't know what it was. I would have liked to have the appropriate OS installed on the RPI4. But I didn't try again. Now Bullseye runs with 32 bits. I was afraid that it might not work at all again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 04:24:13 PM by CB17 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 08:29:10 PM »
(1) Download and install "SD Card Formatter" on your Windows oc Mac Computer from here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

(2) Format your old microSD card which gave you truoble and you are no longer using it. Use "Overwrite Format" option. This option takes 5 to 15 minutes depending on your microSD card.

(3) After "Overwrite Format", write Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit Bookworm LITE on this microSD card using RaspberryPi Imager.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

(4) Install rbfeeder by hack in my following post.

Install rbfeeder and mlat-client on Raspberry Pi OS BOOKWORM

(5) Install rbfeeder and mlat-client on Raspberry Pi OS BOOKWORM
Install mlat-client by OPTION-1 (Standard System-wide method). I have added this method about half an hour ago in my above post.

CB17

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 12:47:38 PM »
Thank you very much for your help. I followed your instructions exactly. Everything has worked without any problems so far and the rbfeeder finally works. Only MLAT just doesn't want to. I've already tried the instructions with "purge" which always helped. Unfortunately, no MLAT yet. I'll try again in the evening since I'll be out of the house for a moment. Thank you so much!

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 01:47:49 PM »
I have revised instructions to install mlat-client in my following post:

Install rbfeeder and mlat-client on Raspberry Pi OS BOOKWORM

If you have installed mlat-client by old instructions, then please visit my post again, remove what you have installed as shown under "OPTION-2 [DEPRECATED] Under Virtual Environment",  and install again by method shown under "OPTION-1, System wide (Recommended Standard Method)". Do not forget to remove line starting with "mlat_cmd=/usr/share/mlat-client/bin/" which you have added in the rbfeeder.ini file.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 04:19:35 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 08:18:10 PM »
Hello abcd567,
I've tried it twice now. Just like you told me. According to the "new" instruction of the MLAT client (deprecated). Unfortunately MLAT does not start. The feeder is running, no problem. Attach a few screenshots. Maybe they will help. In between there was an error message (red box), if I'm interpreting that correctly...

CB17

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 08:23:41 PM »
Do I have to restart the rbfeeder afterwards? or restart the raspi?

By the way, in the meantime I successfully got another Raspberry 3B+ running. MLAT is also running there without any problems so far. But the OS is Bullseye 32bit. Somehow the Raspberry 4B disappoints me. Thought because it's newer and faster, more memory. etc.. everything would go better somehow. Apparently I was wrong.

But it's probably not the hardware at all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 08:33:25 PM by CB17 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 10:59:59 PM »
Write 64-bit Bookworm LITE to microSD card.RPi Model 4 is designed for 64-bit OS, and best works with it. I am using my both Rpi Model 4 with 64-bit Bookworm successfully. runs all the following apps:

• dump1090-fa
  • dump978-fa
  • piaware
  • rbfeeder
  • fr24feed
  • pfclient
  • opensky-network
  • adsbexchange
  • adsbfi
  • adsblol
  • mlat-client
  • graphs1090

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:02:19 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 11:51:33 AM »
Bookworm Lite 64 bit is running on the Raspberry 4. I already did it the way you told me.
Only on the RPI 3, Bullseye runs 32 bit. And strangely enough, there are no problems at all.

As I said, the RPI 4 is as it should be. Should I reinstall the OS again? What do you think?

Please excuse my questions. If you don't mind, of course. I know you're in high demand here...everyone needs help, etc.
If it is possible, I would be grateful for any advice.

Best regards,
Chris

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 01:54:28 PM »

As I said, the RPI 4 is as it should be. Should I reinstall the OS again? What do you think?

Yes, it is a good idea.

When there is a hard to debug problem, I start with easiest to harder solution as follows:
(1) First re-image the microSD card with freshly downloaded OS image. If you are using RaspberryPi imager, it saves the downloaded image in its cache. If you again use it, it wont download a fresh copy. Instead it uses cached copy. If this cached copy got corrupted during original download, the reimaging will again have the same corruption.

To avoid this, before re-imaging, I delete the contents of Imager's cache folder
C:\Users\abcd\AppData\Local\Raspberry Pi\Imager\cache

(2) If re-imaging does not fix the issue, I use another microSD card and write fresh image on it.
(3) If that also fails then the problem is most likely in the hardware (Poor or Failing Power Supply Unit, Loose USB terminal, Bad USB extender cable, and if all this is OK, then the Pi itself)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 02:08:21 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 02:12:56 PM »
First of all, thank you very much for your quick answer. Second, I've never gotten to the point of running the RPI4 with Bookworm. That's really great. It's just the MLAT that doesn't want to. Seen like that, I'm already a bit ahead. Nevertheless, I don't give up hope and try again with a fresh installation. Thanks and all the best, Chris

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 02:42:07 PM »
On fresh install of 64-bit Bookworm, do NOT install mlat-client by command "sudo apt install mlat-client".

install it by following method:

Code: [Select]

sudo apt install -y git debhelper dh-python python3-dev python3-setuptools

git clone https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client

cd mlat-client   

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign 

cd ../

sudo dpkg -i mlat-client_0.2.13_*.deb

sudo apt-mark hold mlat-client

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:22:08 AM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 05:48:06 PM »
Installed everything again. The rbfeeder is running normally. But not the MLAT. It just doesn't want to start. A pity. But thank you very much for your help and your patience.

I wanted to ask you something else...I ordered an RTl-SDR V4 stick from AliEpress. I couldn't get it to work at all on the Raspberry. Instead I now use a DVB-T stick. It works. The reception is weaker, but it works. Are you familiar with the RTL-SDR V4 stick? Any advice on how to get it to work on the Raspi? There are some guides on the internet and on YT, but they didn't help.