anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heya, Im new..Lake District  (Read 5844 times)

bailey_uk

Heya, Im new..Lake District
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
Hey folks, belive it or not I have only just found out about this whole new concept of home Radar and absolutely buzzing!

Initally found the SBS-1 but after comparing that and this AirNav system and readin a fair few posts in this forum I think its safe to say I am going to be purchasing AirNav very shortly.

I live in the Lakes, and have been listening to Airband for a good 5 years so im so excited to be able to visabley track the planes that ive been listening to for so long, on the many North/South airways above.

I know its open ended, but what sort of range can I expect from the included aerial, if its in my loft? How much better will an extenal aerial be?

Regards

James
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

bailey_uk

Re: Heya, Im new..Lake District
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »
Also, there are lots of military aircraft flying over this time of year, do they transmit the relevent frequences to trace?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
Military aircraft cannot be tracked, but most will appear in the list but not give a position on the map.

Whats the terrain like in your area, from your loft can you see you the horizon all the way round?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
Hi Bailey,

Welcome to the forum!

If you live on the top of a hill, your RadarBox coverage will be fantastic.  If you are surrounded by high ground, then you will get a degree of screening, however, if you have an Internet connection you will have access to the RadarBox Network so you'll be able to see all the other shared RadarBox traffic.

As said above, many of the military aircraft will appear in the aircraft list, but not on the map.  Also, MyLog will show those aircraft too, so at the end of the day you will be able to see who has been past :-)

I just love the Lakes and visit often, but I think that I would be in trouble if I took my RadarBox on our holidays!

All the best

Allocator

bailey_uk

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
There are many hills! But by no means in a low point so I dont think it should be too bad.

From looking at the screen shots, the dotted lines - are they the planes future course at that heading?

Also does it have like a history trail of where the aircraft has flown?

Sorry for all of the daft questions, just wanting to know a bit more before I purchase

James

bailey_uk

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »
Im 22 and been into scanning since I was 11 (bit of a geek at times haha) and reading about this is a dream come true.

I was lucky enough to do my work experience in Manchester Air Traffic Control Tower for 5 days and ever since been facinated with tracking aircraft!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
Ask as many questions as you like :-)

You can have the "path vector" - (the dotted line in front of the aircraft) - and a trail behind the aircraft (up to 300 seconds history track).  I tend to have the trail displayed, but not the predicted path vector, but it just depends on what you prefer.

You can download and install the RadarBox software and play the recordings that are available on the AirNav Utilities page.  Although you won't have all the functions, this will allow you to see how the interface works.

bailey_uk

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:57:06 PM »
excellent i'll do that.

Are the UKs Reporting Points, i.e Margo, Lakey, Shapp, Talla etc aswell as VORs shown on the map?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
Are the UKs Reporting Points, i.e Margo, Lakey, Shapp, Talla etc aswell as VORs shown on the map?

Yes:

For the "loft" question, see this thread - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1064.0

And welcome to the wonderful world of "virtual radar".
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:38:20 AM by tarbat »

bailey_uk

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »
Phwoarr you got no idea how much that screenshot makes me want to the get this thing bought! Right over my house that, and spent so long listening to that sector...

118.775 mhz is the lower level sector from memory if your in similar area and have a receiver.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »
I'm a lot further north in the Highlands!!  The aircraft on that screenshot were from the network - anything with an "*" at the end is networked, rather than local.

bailey_uk

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Yeh I understand...

So in a few days when I purchase, with an external aerial on my chimney, *everyone* will have better covarage of this area!