anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Im From Dorset , Uk And Im Not Near Any Mayjor Airports , Is The RB Worth It?  (Read 3320 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
Im from Weymouth , dorset , and I dont live near any massive airports , because they  -  like  70 - 130 miles away from me ( Southampton - Heathrow)

Will The Antenna Even Reach This?

I only spot a Like 2 Or 3 Planes At Night..
Also Is the data I will be recieving ''Live'' , And also when the planes are on the radar map what do they do when they fly out of the antennas range? , So when your tracking all these planes , its like real Atc , planes moving on the diagram on your pc etc?

Hope some of that makes sence
Johnn -

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Johnn,

Take a look at my RadarBox FTP page here:

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/radarbox.html

(link corrected now - sorry, finger trouble!)

It's set on SW England at the moment for the benefit of an interested party on another forum.  The aircraft with "*" after the callsign are Network tracks shared by other users.  The other tracks are picked up by my antenna in Shropshire.  Let me know if you would like the map moving or zooming in.

Yes, I think that there is a fair chance that you might see the odd aircraft :-)

Allocator
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:25:29 PM by Allocator »

testmonkey

Im from Weymouth , dorset , and I dont live near any massive airports , because they  -  like  70 - 130 miles away from me ( Southampton - Heathrow)

Will The Antenna Even Reach This?

All depends where it's positioned, how high up your house is, what else is in your area etc. etc.

I recently did an experiment and took the unit to a local 'high point', attached the aerial to the roof of the car and the range extended just over 240nm! The aerial sits downstairs in my living room normally and the range varies from 24 miles in the worst direction to almost 60 miles. Unless you were fairly close to an airport you wouldn't pick up traffic at low level anyway as the signal is 'line of sight'. Except for anything overhead I usually loose tracks at around 2500ft but again that rises the further away an aircraft is.

Yes the data you'll see from your own unit is live. You can also view the network traffic that other users are uploading if you wish but that (for security reasons) is on a 5 minute delay.

If an aircraft flies out of range it will simply vanish from your display after a set time which you can change within the preferences. It is like looking at real atc for aircraft that are ADS-B enabled. Aircraft that are only broadcasting a standard ModeS signal will show up in your aircraft list but not on your map display. What details you'll actually get for each aircraft depends on what it is enabled to broadcast, or in the case of flight ID's, whether the crew have actually set this or not.

Hope this helps.
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)