AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav & GAS  (Read 5286 times)

Bigyun2000

AirNav & GAS
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
Hi all

This is going to be a stupid question.  But as i have no idea what it is, i thought i should ask.

In the forum many users refer to GAS.  What actually is GAS?  Is it a web site?

Thanks
Tony

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: AirNav & GAS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »
The Gatwick Aviation Society Website.  An excellent source of Mode S information and much more :-)

http://www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/modeslookup.asp

Bigyun2000

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
Thanks Allocator

Marinus

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:42:52 AM »
The Gatwick Aviation Society Website.  An excellent source of Mode S information and much more :-)

Hello,

Also mentioned here and there, but a source  more up to date (IMHO)
then the GAS is:

http://www.airframes.org

Regards,

Marinus.

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
Yes, airframes.org is very good.  When I'm away from my RadarBox internet connection, but still have access to an Internet PC, I use both GAS and airframes.org for manual searches.  I have heard that you can be blocked for making too many searches on airframes.org, but for normal casual use there should be no problem.

Bigyun2000

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
Thanks all.

I have been using airframes.org.  However I was hoping that entry would auto populate into RB database.

I have many errors in my database.  I wondered if this is normal or not.
When i print out a daily log, there are missing data.  So i check the database and noticed that some data seems to be in the wrong area.  Where a CN should be, there appears to be data from the AC column and visversa.

Is this normal?
Thanks

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
Thanks all.

I have been using airframes.org.  However I was hoping that entry would auto populate into RB database.

I have many errors in my database.  I wondered if this is normal or not.
When i print out a daily log, there are missing data.  So i check the database and noticed that some data seems to be in the wrong area.  Where a CN should be, there appears to be data from the AC column and visversa.

Is this normal?
Thanks

The Serial Number/Operator swapped fields is a known problem, although there is no answer at present other than manual correction - not really viable.

When you are connected to the Internet, your Radarbox databases for the source database (NavData.db3) and the MyLog database (MyLog.db3) will be auto-populated by the AirNav Server from the GAS database.

If you have been using Radarbox away from the Internet and aircraft are detected that are not in the NavData database, then these will appear in MyLog without any details other than the Mode S code, the country and the time.

The Report generator uses the data in MyLog, so if there are details missing, these will also be missing in the report.

To update the databases when you are on the Internet, open MyLog, use Tools | Populate and the records will be auto-populated.  This can take some time if you have a lot of unknowns.

You will still have some Mode S codes without details, because these will be missing from the GAS database.  I then go to airframes.org and search there and see if there is a record.  If there is, I use the RadarBox File | Database Explorer to put the details in manually.

When you use MyLog Populate again, these manually entered details will then be used to update the records in MyLog.

Hope this helps.

Allocator

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
Quote from: Allocator
I have heard that you can be blocked for making too many searches on airframes.org, but for normal casual use there should be no problem.

Youn have to do 150 before the daily limit is reached so if you keep on top of missing entries then that should not be a problem :-)

Bigyun2000

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »
Thanks thats now very clear.